Little children looking at you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eyti

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
:laugh: This seriously made me laugh so hard just because little kids always do that and it makes me feel so awkward--I'm not too good with kids. And they always just slowly turn and walk away when I try to smile or say hi.

As Dr. Cox said in Scrubs: "Children are like small cab drivers--you can never understand them and they always smell" :p

dunno. i smile back and i wave and if my hair is in a unicorn horn i sway my head to move my unicorn horn?

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
why, why, why would you get this question at an interview? :confused::confused:

Waaaaaait, where on earth is this random question popping up from??? Is someone afraid one of these lil' kids roaming around might be their own seed?? lol, I kid (though, I did have a friend like that once...he lived in a state of paranoia...smh).

But for real, little kids can creep me out, especially when they just stare without saying a word/smiling/waving/etc. I usually stare back with the same creepy look they give me, then pop on a smile with a chuckle and continue on my merry way. la la lalala

I would start diagnosing all the little peds!!!!!! I really don't know how I would answer that question though and cannot figure why anyone would ask it. Hopefully some interviewer sees this thread and ends up asking the rest of their interviewees this exact question and it throws them all off.

i usually just smile back, and usually the kids smile back at me :)

Just wave and say hi. If their with their parents and you're just standing there, like waiting for an elevator, you can always strike up conversation with the parents/kid. Most people are fine with that.

Just be friendly, and if you can make them smile, all the better. Happy kids are waaaayyy better than crying kids.

Plus, in medicine, you have to deal with all age groups, get used to it, deal with the smelly old people telling you stories of how it was in the "good ol' days" and the small kids asking you why you have a strange accent or why you wear the funny coat or costume.

Last edited:
So, suppose you get the question [at an interview] "How do you feel when little children look at you for prolonged periods of time when they're passing by you?" How would you answer that question?

I am wondering if other people might feel the same way - about sometimes wondering "why are all these little kids looking at me?" Especially if its in a family-friendly place like Disney or a --> European cruise <--.

I would look down to see if my fly is open.

wtf? little kids are the simplest people to please in the whole world.. just smile at them and say "ooga booga" or "what's up little man/woman" whichever is age-appropriate and you have a friend for life.

jmo but I love kids. mainly because I don't have any.

Members don't see this ad :)
You guys feel awkward about it?
I mean... maybe if I were 13 and unsure why my body was changing or somethin'...and my fly was down, but otherwise? Not so much.
I usually wave, say hi, etc. I've worked with kids much of my life (swim instructor, lifeguard, pediatric psych ward...), so I'm used to just about anything they can throw at me -- from the sweet little girl to the volatile 12-year-old who has stolen cars and stabbed people (already!) to the "sweet" little 11-year-old girl who manipulates older men into paying her for sex....oh yeah, and I've worked with some normal kids, too. lol.

i feel like a predator every time some kid looks at me and I look at them back. then their parents look up to see what their kid is staring at and see me: a 6'2" 21 year old white guy.

then mom wipers something to her kid and they hurriedly walk away while not making eye contact with me.

The worst part is that I like kids, I've worked with them since I was 16.

I tend to feel a slight sensation down there when kids look at me.

:laugh: This seriously made me laugh so hard just because little kids always do that and it makes me feel so awkward--I'm not too good with kids. And they always just slowly turn and walk away when I try to smile or say hi.

As Dr. Cox said in Scrubs: "Children are like small cab drivers--you can never understand them and they always smell" :p

Don't forget what Elliot said "kids are creepy...they have REALLY SMALL HANDS..."

Lol this reminds me of something that happened a couple of weeks ago:

I like to go out on the balcony of my apt and play guitar cause it has a really nice view. I was sitting on the balcony playing and there were a couple of kids playing around down below. One of the kids, who was white, stared up at me for a couple of minutes and yelled at the black girl she was playing with "hey look up there, he's brown too." I got a pretty big laugh out of that.

Oh I'm black btw just in case you didn't catch it.

I just stare back at them with a very blank expression. Then they get scared and stop staring.

kid-looking-up.jpg
WebsitePhotoJohninpumpkinlookingup.jpg

yeah it is

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hoWaONPkXY[/YOUTUBE]

i usually stare back at them then after a while look away, by the time i look back they've usually lost interest.

When I meet eyes with a child, I cannot help but be overwhelmed with his/her innocence and unrelenting curiosity. I become flush with optimism as his/her pure smiles and laughter attest to the benevolence of man. I long to connect with the child, to impact his or her in some meaningful way. Finally, I feel envious - envious of the blissful ignorance that they possess, and envious of the rewarding process of learning, discovery and maturation that they will embark upon throughout his/her youth.

Lol this reminds me of something that happened a couple of weeks ago:

I like to go out on the balcony of my apt and play guitar cause it has a really nice view. I was sitting on the balcony playing and there were a couple of kids playing around down below. One of the kids, who was white, stared up at me for a couple of minutes and yelled at the black girl she was playing with "hey look up there, he's brown too." I got a pretty big laugh out of that.

Oh I'm black btw just in case you didn't catch it.

I love kids. They're so frank.

I would initiate a staring contest. And then probably proceed to lose it.

Those of you that get "uncomfortable" with kids staring at you, just recognize that you cannot project mature understanding of social conventions onto them when they're so young. They don't quite understand that it isn't appropriate to just gawk at someone, so don't take it personally if they don't break gaze after a few seconds. Just smile at them and wave; usually they smile and wave back or hide beyond mom/dad.

That being said, I really don't understand how this is relevant as an interview question.

This is truly a bizarre thread. And as for little kids "creeping people out" that is something I cant grasp. Unless the kid looks like Chuckie of course.:eek:

There have been studies done on babies/toddlers showing that even that early on, kids show strong preference for staring at faces that are considered more attractive. So be flattered. :p

There have been studies done on babies/toddlers showing that even that early on, kids show strong preference for staring at faces that are considered more attractive. So be flattered. :p

I've heard this too so I always take it as a compliment. maybe that's my ego showing

it all really depends...

911.jpg

:eek:

Last edited: