Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Little known, grade inflated school

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by Elkoshi, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Elkoshi

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hi, I have a question about schools with bad grade inflation. For my B.A. I went to a school which for anonymity's sake I will merely say was similar to Touro in New York, but not even as good. The school is very small, poorly known, and has severe grade inflation. As such I graduated with a 4.0 without inordinate effort. This isn't to say everyone got free A's--I almost always outperformed the rest of my class--just that I don't think that I earned every A.

As I was a liberal arts major I haven't taken many prereq's yet, which I plan on doing at a CUNY school this coming year. My question is this: In order to be seriously considered by a medical school, should I try to get a second bachelors from CUNY, or would a high GPA in my prereq's alone be enough to prove that I can compete in a "real" school?

#1 Elkoshi, Dec 22, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  2. Rzarecta

Rzarecta Premed 2: Electric Bugalo
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

They will look to your MCAT to prove your mettle, so at this point only take the prereqs and massacre the MCAT. Good luck.

3. bluesmd

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    yeah what did you get in your mcat?

4. Elkoshi

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Didn't take it yet.

5. Mobius1985

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Get straight As (or close to it) in the prerequisites and a great MCAT score to prove you "got" it, and you'll be fine (assuming appropriate extracurriculars, a great Personal Statement, excellent Letters of Recommendation, and good interview skills, of course).