Little Volunteer Experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrSal

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everybody,

So as we've seen before, C's /low MCATs/ little research experience can all be forgiven if the rest of the application looks good (and hopefully you don't lack in all 3 of the above categories ;) )

But how about this: What if you have very little volunteering experience? I just have one activity, that i'm going to start soon (junior yr) with the red cross. I might also do some other things between now and the beginning of the application cycle, but i don't have like 4 yrs of tutoring inner city children or anything.
(The excuse is that i'm a commuter, and have a lot of family commitments.)

What do you think? Anyone got acceptances with a not-so-much volunteering?

Members don't see this ad.

I have pretty much zippo for volunteering and have been accepted to several schools. Your plan sounds fine. Just make sure you don't lack in all those categories, and do some other interesting stuff, too (student organizations, maybe try to find some research, shadowing docs). Doing something that shows you have some sort of clinical experience is a huge plus. Depending on what your volunteer position is, it may fit the bill. Of course, it doesn't hurt to have more volunteer time on your app, but I am proof that volunteering in and of itself is not absolutely necessary.

im in the same situation Drsal, my only clinical experience has been volunteering in the ER for 2 months now , and shadowing. I spend about 3.5 hours a day 5 days a week commutting waking up at 5:00 a.m. Kind of tough to stick around for the club meetings which are at 7:30 usually.