Littmann Classic II S.E. Stethoscope vs. III

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surfdevl02

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello folks...i just have a quick question regarding a stethoscope i recently got as a going-away gift from my clinic. The clinic bought me a Littman Classic II steth. I was wondering what the difference between this and the Littmann III was, which from what i have read, has been the preference of most med students on the forum. Is there a substantial difference in the two? It's a great present and i'm not complaining, i'd just like to know the difference between the two. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The III has the two different tubes (hence the Y shape at the neck) the II doesn't (hence the T shape). The III definitely has better sound, but the II is good enough. If you have the means I personally would trade it in on a III (you will need the box and all the stuff). If not I would just use the one you have it will work.

For the record the Littman III was the best sounding next to the littman Cardiology that me and a few of my friends tested.

After that I liked the DRG sounds are a little more discrete in that one (very crisp) but it doesn't seem to pick up the lowest of low sounds I got with the Littman.

The Harvey is crap.

I have a similar question: I too was set on buying Littmann Cardiology III; but recently a GI doc told me that Littmann Master Classic II is better for a variety of different sounds other than the heart, and he told me that Master Classic II can resolve GI sounds better than Cardiology III, which is better for the heart. So I am not sure if he is right or not; I need second opinions on this before I spend 100 bucks. Can someone verify if this is true? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Heck, just buy an electronic stethoscope! Why not? ;)

Classic II is just fine for med school. If you think you're going to anytime soon be distinguishing the subtle heart sounds of a Grade I/VI tricuspid murmur before you're out there as a senior cardiology fellow, you're likely to get laughed out of your medicine clerkship. It's a well-established fact that med students can't hear jack, and even if they think they do the residents and attendings don't believe them anyway. Personally, I wouldn't even go into a room with anything nicer than the Classic II as a med student. You look like a gunner or, worse, a spoiled brat with rich parents (whether true or not).

Save your money. The Classic II is just fine (and probably a rip-off at around $50 anyway). Besides, if you lose it or someone swipes it, you won't be as pissed.

Just my thoughts. But, remember: it's your money. And, if you buy the III, you better know that it's slightly curved, and pressed lightly it's a bell while more tightly against the skin converts the bell to a diaphragm (which is probably why they say the II is better for bowel sounds... harder to press the III tightly enough against a squishy abdomen to get a good diaphragm to pick-up those high-pitched bowel sounds).

-Skip

With all due respect, why would you buy a stethoscope that doesn't transmit sound well (i.e. classic II), when your objective is to learn how to hear the sounds?

I had a classic II in pharmacy school (they made us buy them, so I bought the cheapest thing they would allow), and I couldn't hear squat with it. It drove me nuts on rotations when the attending was trying to show us something, and I just could never hear it. Then one of the attendings let me listen through hers (I think it was a Harvey, actually), and the difference was amazing.

So I got rid of my classic II, and will gladly fork over the money for something of higher quality.

I've had a Littman lightweight for about 6 years now. How does it compare to the Classic II? Is it worth upgrading at least a little?

Surfdevl02

You should check with the school you are going to - I know mine requires us to purchase a dual lumen, double headed steth - and so does the schools that all my friends go to. You can search the internet and find some sites that offer the Littman III, The Harvey and the DRG for pretty good prices. I use the Harvey Elite and am very happy with it - I just couldn't get used to the Littman - it just didn't fit me as comfortably. Good luck.

Originally posted by Samoa
With all due respect, why would you buy a stethoscope that doesn't transmit sound well (i.e. classic II), when your objective is to learn how to hear the sounds?

You make a good point. But, personally, I've never had a problem hearing with my Classic II. And, I've listened to heart sounds with it in a noisy third-world hospital as well as a noisy ER in the U.S. Maybe you have/had a problem with the way it fit into your ears (?).

Again, it's your money. The Classic III requires learning a little bit of technique, and you better be sure that your future instructors feel confident that you - as a medical student - are able to satisfactorily perform this techinique as a novice.

For me, owning and using a Classic II as a third-year is akin to wearing a short-coat (i.e., I can only imagine the hell that a clerk will get walking into a room wearing an attending coat and carrying a cardiology pro steth). What stethoscope you choose is a big part of demonstrating your status (as silly as that sounds) in the pecking order. If you buy a III you better (a) be damn sure you know how to use it, and (b) expect that when a resident or attending says they hear something you can hear it too.

Fair or not, this is reality.

-Skip

Originally posted by Skip Intro
For me, owning and using a Classic II as a third-year is akin to wearing a short-coat (i.e., I can only imagine the hell that a clerk will get walking into a room wearing an attending coat and carrying a cardiology pro steth). What stethoscope you choose is a big part of demonstrating your status (as silly as that sounds) in the pecking order. If you buy a III you better (a) be damn sure you know how to use it, and (b) expect that when a resident or attending says they hear something you can hear it too.

Fair or not, this is reality.

-Skip

You have a good point as well. I doubt that my pharmacist coats will see the light of day again. :laugh: And honestly I don't mind bowing to the pecking order on things that are just a matter of ego. However, most, if not all, the med students where I work carry cardiology III's, and it makes sense to me to get something of higher quality when I expect to have it for a long time and use it frequently. It's the nurses who have Classic II's and cheaper scopes. But then again, they're listening for pulses, breathing and bowel sounds, and it was fine for that. It just frustrated me that I could always identify the sound on the demo tapes in class, and never with the stethoscope.

I have a quick question--what to you think of the Master Cardiology? (right below electronic). I have a parent who used to work for 3M and he was able to get a huge discount so where is was less than $150 as a graduation/commissiong/birthday gift. (all fell within 5 days of each other). I will be starting Medical school this fall. I will most likely be given a cheaper stethoscope, so should I use this one instead and save the Master cardiology for Residency? I liked the Master Cardiology for the quality and I wanted one to be able to hear well no matter where in the world I would be.

Thanks

:confused:

It is not the stethescope that counts so much as what goes between the ear tips.

I have to disagree with Skip Intro...........At my medical school almost EVERYONE has a master cardiology or III. not much else. most definately NONE of the residents or attendings care AT ALL about what kind of stethoscope you carry. They don't watch you do a H&P anyway. I think electronic just looks geeky, but don't worry about getting a nice scope. NO ONE CARES

What is the price difference between a Littmann II vs. III? And did someone say tha tyou could trade it in if you still have the box. Thanks again guys, all your responses have been extremely helpful!

I have a Cardiology III and I love it :)

III's cost I think around $160? I don't remember. However, both my friend and I bought III's in 2000, and I got a green one and he got a black one. Mine cost less for whatever reason. So consider that too, I guess.

I've tried Cardiology IIs and I can't hear jack spit. With my Cardio III, I've heard as a 3rd/4th year Med student, the I/VI mitral valve prolapse and tricuspid regurg, etc. Of course, it only happened after I finished a pediatric cardiology rotation (which rocked) and I was familiar with faint murmurs, but I've had attendings who couldn't hear the murmur with their own stethoscope, and WERE able to with the Cardiology III.

GI sounds I've heard are worthless. Tinkle tinkle little star, how I wonder if you fart :D.

-Todd MSIV USC

Has anyone ever used an ADC?
A friend of mine suggested I get one, but I had never even heard the name up until that point. And for that matter, the only kind of stethoscope I've ever used was a Sprague. What do you think of Spragues? Are they just cheap pieces of crap that only doctors on ER wear? Or are they a good low-priced alternative to other more expensive stethosopces? I work in a hospital, and have only seen drs weat littmans -- anyway....any info you have would be appreciated.