Littmann Master Cardiology (All Black Edition)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

regisphilbin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey...
has anyone seen the all black master cardio stethoscope?

the chest piece and binaurals are all black... hence the name.

does it look good? does it rub off like the cheap gold-plating they used to dO?

I was about to order one, but was a bit apprehensive in case it looked bad or was something that was kinda cheap.

Members don't see this ad.

I have one, and have had it for about 2 - 2.5 years. Been carrying it around in my pocket (so it rubs against itself, so to speak). It has maintained its finish. And did I mention that it's gaw-geous? Honestly, it looks great. If you have the opportunity to buy one, I'd definitely get it over the other, silver one.

i need to get a steth, what should i get? im looking to spend the least amount of money possible, since ill just be using it once a month with my preceptor... ill get a better one later.. any ideas??

Imitiaz...

There are 2 schools of thought on this:

1) learn on the most expensive scope you can get as its very difficult to discerne what you're hearing, especially in the beginning and especially with cheaper, less acoustically-helpful scopes

2) use the cheapest scope you can, as if you can use one of these and still understand what you're hearing, you'll always be able to regardless of the scope available.

My preference falls somewhere in the middle. I find little use for a medical student to have a $300 scope, especially given the likelihood of it being stolen during medical school. Then again, I can't hear a darn thing with those $12 "nurses' scopes". Istarted with a Littman Classic but switched to the Cardiology after I could hear some sounds with my attendings version which I could not with the Classic.

You can't really go wrong with brand Littman. Widely available and easily repaired should the need arise. Whatever you get, try it out - some brands and models are more comfortable ( highly personal preference) than others. And remember that as careful as you may be, there is still a good chance that you will lose it or have your scope stolen. So if you buy a $300 scope, make sure you can afford to replace it.