1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Live rent free or stay where the HCE opportunities are?

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by bgm, Jul 22, 2011.

1. bgm

bgm
    2+ Year Member

I’m 24 and a recent MS grad. I want to be a PA, and thought that I might get better advice from people who have experience managing finances in this forum.

A relative has offered me a free place to stay near one of the universities that I may take my pre-reqs at this school yr. I can live rent free and just do household chores/ run errands. The problem I’m having a hard time finding HCE opportunities in the area. I just received my EMT-Basic certification; however, the county doesn’t have any volunteer EMS agencies. I’ve called nearby cities but they will not let me volunteer since I would be living out of their district.

If I stay at my current university to take pre-reqs, I’ll have to continue to pay for rent and expenses. However, there are plenty of EMS volunteer opportunities available and medical professionals to shadow. I also know the Fire/Rescue chief in town and he said I had a good shot of making it on to their squad next hiring session.
    Right now I’m looking for a job (budget cuts terminated my last job in May) I have about 20k in savings but I don’t want to blow it all if possible.

I’m a few years away from applying to PA school. Would you live rent free or live where there are more health care opportunities?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.