Live sources of good premed advice?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by kareniw, Mar 26, 2001.

1. Hi all,

I am looking for live sources of good premed advice other than the advisor at my college, who just began pre-med advising this year and is too overworked to provide much personal attention. Basically I just want to know why I didn't get into med schools this year and what are the best strategies for me to improve my application (see my other thread). Are the Med school adcoms themselves a candid source of advice? Are there other good sources of advice that I can contact live (I am in the Berkeley area) or electronically? (I would, however, prefer to shy away from $100/hr consultants..)

thanks,
    Karen

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. MD-bound

MD-bound Member

Hey Kareniw,

I am not sure that I can offer you any advice on people to contact, but from reading your earlier post, I would definitely recommend calling the schools to which you applied and getting some feedback on your application. Remember you paid a lot of money for them to review your file--you are at the very least entitled to some feedback as to why things didn't work and maybe what you can do to help your next application. Oh by the way--GO BEARS!!!

4. Nanon

Nanon An urban myth.

Karen - I'm also at Berkeley, and I know what you mean about our pre-med advisor, although she has given me a few nuggets of good advice.

First, even before applying, I am talking to the admissions committees at all of the schools that I'm even vaguely interested in. The purpose for this is two-fold. First, I get a good idea of what kind of person they are looking for, and not just stats wise. Second, I'm introducing myself to them as a prospective student. While I don't expect these people to remember me five minutes after they hang up the phone, I have lucked out in a few cases. One admissions director offered to help me write my personal statement! This by no means guarantees admission, but every little thing helps.

Another (related) tidbit - select your schools carefully, and not just based on what their average stats are. The schools are looking for a "match," not just a number. What are the other students like? What is the mission statement of the school? What kind of physicians do they crank out? Not just residency matching, but who are their alumni and what have they done with their lives? And then look at what you have to offer to each school, and play that up.

At least that's my strategy.

Nanon

5. kris

kris Senior Member

Karen,

You're on the right track. As other posters have stated, you can get straight answers from the schools you applied to.

I had one school even *offer* to meet with me in person. After the rejections, I flew out there (visited the parents) and met with them. The admissions officer explained to me:
    1) exactly what their concerns were
    2) what I should do to address those concerns
    3) what to include in my essay that would help my application (which completely contradicted the advice of my incredibly poor pre-med advisor).

I did it, and I'm in.

Good luck.
    --Kris

6. Nanon

Nanon An urban myth.

One more thing, Karen... Did you apply to the UCB/UCSF MS-MD program? If not, you should check it out. Also, the admissions director is reportedly very approachable... and right on campus. Which is convienient.

Nanon