Medical Lived in states for a long time, but family's green cards are held up. How will this affect applying as international student?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I’m just looking for clarification on a specific circumstance. I have strong ties to my state. I’ve gone to middle school/high school and am currently completing my undergrad in my state. However, due to some on going visa backlogs, am going to most likely be applying to medical school in the near future as an international applicant. Will I be given special consideration at my state schools that accept applications from internationals given my ties to the state? Any insight into this issue is greatly appreciated. Thank you!!
I would think that medical schools would see where you went to high school and undergrad and factor this in. You can also include in your personal statements to the in-state schools the fact that you live in said state just to reiterate.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Let me clarify your citizenship issue: so you are not a US citizen, but you did spend a few years in the US in middle/high school? At least on AMCAS (and probably other applications), you will be prompted for your high school attended. So did your family emigrate to the US and haven't completed any process for a green card?

You should reach out to your in-state school and explain your situation to know how you would be considered. There are policies they have to follow on domicility, but you may be eligible because you did go to school in your state.

Yes, my family emigrated to the US a while ago, and we have filed for our green card under the employment based preference. However, due to long wait times and huge backlogs in the immigration system, it looks like I will not be receiving my green card. We applied for the green card in 2011, and our application is still pending. My dad is the one that applied for the green card, and since I am still under 21, I automatically receive it once his application is approved. However, unfortunately, once I turn 21, I essentially age out, and will have to complete my own process. I have basically lived in the US my entire life. I even went to elementary school in my state of residence, and am really not familiar with the country that I hold citizenship in. The only grades that I lived in that country was 5th and 6th grade where we moved back due to some issues with my dad's work. Thus, I have no intention of going back to my country of citizenship any time in the future if it were up to me. I would like to stay in the US. So basically, would you suggest reaching out and explaining to schools these unique circumstances and how I would be considered?
You don't mention your home state, but I think most people are at least sympathetic with the current problems with the immigration system. It is good to get some advice on this from admissions recruiters based on how they may have seen similar applicants handled.

My home state is New Jersey. So my state schools that accept internationals(MD) are Rutgers New Jersey Medical School and Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson along with Cooper Medical School, but I think they only accept applications from permanent residents/US Citizens. I still have some time to go before I actually apply since I am a sophomore in college currently. Do you think I should reaching out early?
It would be good to reach out early, at least to see if they have students who have a similar backstory as you. You didn't disclose your GPA, so I would do the same with DO schools.
As of right now, my GPA is a 4.0, and I am a Biomedical Engineering major. I will definitely reach out to my state DO schools as well and see what their policies. Thank you so much for your help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.