Living alone for D1 vs getting roomates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I was pretty set on getting a 1 bedroom 1 bathroom and living alone for D1. I thought that doing this would allow me to adjust to dental school without distractions. I would also meet my classmates and make friends who I would like to be roommates with for D2. However, now that I'm looking at the costs, I just don't know if it's worth it. Getting roommates would be a lot cheaper, but I don't want to deal with the headaches of bad roommates, dirty dishes, or noise.

I'm starting at UMICH as in-state so I'm already saving a lot of money compared to what I had planned before. (I thought I would only get into an private school). Maybe I can afford to live on my own?

Members don't see this ad.

Get your own place for the first year and start looking for a roommate once you are in the program. That way, you can meet someone you get along with...

The 1/1 is only for one year until to get adjusted

Reactions: 2 users
Do what I did and become an undergraduate resident assistant (RA). Single room on campus usually free food for a couple of nights a week and one weekend a month available in your room which is where your going to be studying every night first year. Most campuses have a health related profession floor or dorm plus you get the added advantages of being an actual "doctor to be" among the undergrads.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do what I did and become an undergraduate resident assistant (RA). Single room on campus usually free food for a couple of nights a week and one weekend a month available in your room which is where your going to be studying every night first year. Most campuses have a health related profession floor or dorm plus you get the added advantages of being an actual "doctor to be" among the undergrads.

This is a brilliant idea. I'd do it, but my school holds the hiring process (group interviews, etc.) for RAs between Jan-April, and I won't get there until July for first year. Great suggestion though.

Reactions: 1 user
TBH, I creeped on facebook and found a couple of guys that looked chill and now we have a great living situation.
Living with other people who are going through the same exact thing as you is very helpful and I personally would recommend it.

Reactions: 3 users
I have my own place now. Great place but at the end of the day having a few roommates saves some cash, so in a few months I'm gonna room with a few classmates.

It's nice coming home to your own spot without any distractions.

I have my own place now. Great place but at the end of the day having a few roommates saves some cash, so in a few months I'm gonna room with a few classmates.

It's nice coming home to your own spot without any distractions.
I'm also debating whether I should get a roommate for my first year or not.. dilemma.

Going to go for a single studio in my D1- like @ncide said, "It's nice coming home to your own spot without any distractions." To me, the extra dough is worth it. ($600 w/ roommates vs. $800 for studio)

Hmm. Yes I think I like the idea of living on my own at least for the first year. I'll make it a goal to find good roommates for D2 year.

I was an RA for 3 years in undergrad and I also will be going to the dental program of my school. I love my years as an RA, in fact I think this experience helps me getting into dental schools with all the skills I gained. However, I don't think it's quite possible to work as an RA while in dental school. I can't imagine having the time and energy needed to complete all the duties, which require 20+ hrs/a week. Last thing I want is to be fired for not doing my job and having no place to live.

Last edited:
My experience from my class, most individuals who live alone tend to feel really isolated and the majority of us have roommates. It's nice to have a roommate so you can split the costs and have someone to interact with on your own terms. Be careful who you room with though, rooming with another dental student(s) can cause issues because you are with the same individuals all day everyday for the next 4 years....

My experience from my class, most individuals who live alone tend to feel really isolated and the majority of us have roommates. It's nice to have a roommate so you can split the costs and have someone to interact with on your own terms. Be careful who you room with though, rooming with another dental student(s) can cause issues because you are with the same individuals all day everyday for the next 4 years....
I've heard this from other students too. It's probably my main concern in living alone. What do you think about the plan to live alone for D1 then get roommates D2-D4?

Just a word of caution, I was an RA at my school in undergrad and it SUCKED. It was a huge time suck, they had rules about what you could do in your free time, and the amount of petty drama that went on was absured. At my school RAs were not paid (just free housing) but they school changed my fees on me and I ended up paying the school more money as an RA than I did before. So basically I had to pay for a job I didn't even like that tried to dictate my life outside of work. It was hell in undergrad I couldn't imagine it in D school.

Edit: it got to the point I was literally pricing used campers on Craigslist and looking at the monthly rates on nearby campsites, I'm not joking.

I had roommates all though dental school . I could not imagine having to live alone during those years.
. It was great to be able to battle with things along with my roommates who were also in D school. It was very helpfull to be able to jump up , or, down into their rooms , When I had concerns ,or questions about topics or situations. They did the same with me...... I was also great to have a beer or 5. ,on many nights , ,, when we needed to relax together. It was,great to have that close companionship on some nights when the stress levels were high.

It was great to discuss the **** we were going through at home , and know I was not the only one dealing with that crap.

It was good to feel we were all in the same game and war together. It was always comforting to see / feel / live , with others who where in on the same battle as I was . I loved having my roommates and in the end , some of my tightest friends in life are from those years. Except for 1 roommate who was just odd and a freak ( only I year with that )no big deal but not my best bud .

Yeah , you can live alone,,, but sooo many times during dental school ,,,,, I was so glad I was not alone in the battle . Having and living with some dental school roommates was so helpful and nice In many many times . We had a good time through all of it.
I don't think I could have made it through D-school sanely without my roommates .
I sincerely recomend NOT living alone through dental school!
It's up to you, and it depends on who you are . I think for about 80 - 90 %. of students,,, having dental school roommates is helpfull and comforting.
Just my two cents .

I've heard this from other students too. It's probably my main concern in living alone. What do you think about the plan to live alone for D1 then get roommates D2-D4?

I think living alone is fine, I have multiple friends who live alone but their biggest issue is feeling isolated. But my classmates that have roommates among people in the class have had issues were
1. You are stuck with the same people at school and guess what they are there when you are at home (too much time together)
2. You are going to want alone time and the last thing you want to deal with is problems with a roommate
3. Some days I wish I lived alone... But you can always close your door and remove yourself from your housemates
4. Most individuals with more than one roommate have tended to have more issues.

Each scenario has different outcomes I know D2-D4's who have switched from roommates to living alone or they usually stick with roommates the whole way through. I really haven't heard of people living alone wanting roommates in my experience... It's really preference on what you feel comfortable with. But the isolation problem is an easy solution for those who feel that way!!!

Reactions: 1 user
I was pretty set on getting a 1 bedroom 1 bathroom and living alone for D1. I thought that doing this would allow me to adjust to dental school without distractions. I would also meet my classmates and make friends who I would like to be roommates with for D2. However, now that I'm looking at the costs, I just don't know if it's worth it. Getting roommates would be a lot cheaper, but I don't want to deal with the headaches of bad roommates, dirty dishes, or noise.

I'm starting at UMICH as in-state so I'm already saving a lot of money compared to what I had planned before. (I thought I would only get into an private school). Maybe I can afford to live on my own?
I personally started D1 living alone. But I think if you can find roommates from your class it is the best. You can study together and kinda share your stresses. However some of my classmates find it helpful to live with someone who is NOT classmates as they find it as an easier way to distract themselves from school while at home. All depends on your preferences. Some even live in Greek housing.

This is a brilliant idea. I'd do it, but my school holds the hiring process (group interviews, etc.) for RAs between Jan-April, and I won't get there until July for first year. Great suggestion though.
Where are you going??? :rolleyes: