Living alone vs. living with ppl

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

motivated dent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have a dilemma. I'm an incoming first year and I'm trying to decide on whether to live alone or with a roommate next year. What do you guys think? Do you think living alone would be better when dealing with the stressful schedule? I'd appreciate any advice!:)

Members don't see this ad.

I live alone and shift back and forth between studying alone and with friends. I don't think it makes that big of a difference academically. But I like blasting my own music when I like, having my own refrigerator and bathroom.

Plus, makes bringing a date back to your place less problematic ;) and that goes a loong way in relieving school stress, TRUST ME :laugh:

All of my dental school friends that live alone love it. If you can afford to live alone I think it's the way to go. As stated above, you can always find people to study with, but if you want to be alone you have that option as well. Good luck!

Scotty

Members don't see this ad :)
i live alone and shift back and forth between studying alone and with friends. I don't think it makes that big of a difference academically. But i like blasting my own music when i like, having my own refrigerator and bathroom.

Plus, makes bringing a date back to your place less problematic ;) and that goes a loong way in relieving school stress, trust me :laugh:

+1 :)

i like living with a roommate. you know why??? it's 7 AM and u have a practical at 8 AM and you forgot to set your alarm... your WONDERFUL first year roomie can wake ur butt up so u don't miss the practical!!!!! n well it's nice cuz if u have a quick question about dental school things u can just ask. no need to phone ppl. :)

So I have a dilemma. I'm an incoming first year and I'm trying to decide on whether to live alone or with a roommate next year. What do you guys think? Do you think living alone would be better when dealing with the stressful schedule? I'd appreciate any advice!:)

Here's what worked well for me...
I started out living alone in a cheap dumpy apartment on a month to month lease. For the first 3-4 months of school I kept my eye out for two things.
1. The best housing arrangements in town for the best cost.
2. The other guys in my class I could live with without conflict.
After some time I found the best combination and lived a very happy 3 years thereafter.

I started out living alone in a cheap dumpy apartment on a month to month lease. For the first 3-4 months of school I kept my eye out for two things.
After some time I found the best combination and lived a very happy 3 years thereafter.

EXCELLENT
I will rememebr this when my time comes :xf:

Sounds like a good plan except the minimum lease is usually 6 or 7 months.
Also, as a renter you should try to sign a long-term lease so that the price doesn't increase on you as much.