living arrangement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nycNerd

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of the schools I'm applying to is near my parents' home - about 25 minutes away. However, living at home during med school is not an option for me because the environment is not conducive to studying for a variety of reasons. This particular institution does not have on-campus housing, and students are responsible for finding their own housing. Will med schools include housing in your student budget even if you live nearby?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. You are considered independent by the time you are old enough to go to med school. They certainly don't expect you to live with your parents just because they live nearby. They'll budget everyone the same amount for housing.

One of the schools I'm applying to is near my parents' home - about 25 minutes away. However, living at home during med school is not an option for me because the environment is not conducive to studying for a variety of reasons. This particular institution does not have on-campus housing, and students are responsible for finding their own housing. Will med schools include housing in your student budget even if you live nearby?

I think its perfectly reasonable to demand that 25 year olds live with their parents. You can live on your own for the rest of your life!

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks...

I didn't ask if living with my parents was a reasonable option because it is really not an option for me at all. My parents are not supportive of my decision to go to medical school, and I'm pretty sure they would make my life difficult if I lived at home if they hadn't already kicked me out. Trust me, if it was an option I'd take it. The less money I owe at the end of this process, the better!

thanks...

I didn't ask if living with my parents was a reasonable option because it is really not an option for me at all. My parents are not supportive of my decision to go to medical school, and I'm pretty sure they would make my life difficult if I lived at home if they hadn't already kicked me out. Trust me, if it was an option I'd take it. The less money I owe at the end of this process, the better!

Your parents aren't supportive of you going to medical school? They sure sound like a great bunch of people!

Your parents aren't supportive of you going to medical school? They sure sound like a great bunch of people!

haha opposite of most parents, right? They're pretty cool people, though, just looking out for me...they place a lot of value on family and are worried about the sacrifices I will have to make as a doctor. They'll get over it.

haha opposite of most parents, right? They're pretty cool people, though, just looking out for me...they place a lot of value on family and are worried about the sacrifices I will have to make as a doctor. They'll get over it.
My parents aren't thrilled about me becoming a doctor, but when I got in, they were more excited than I was. My dad can't wait to bring me a stethoscope. My parents are concerned about the long hours, difficult lifestyle, not having time for family. When I first bought it up, they were actually trying very hard to discourage me. But they know how stubborn I am, and came around eventually. Hopefully, your parents will be the same.

The medical school will put it in the budget if you explain the situation. It'll be more loans that they'll get paid back to them eventually. Good luck.