Living Arrangements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ravenclaw27

Hey there!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who are heading off to med school,how do you plan on paying for a place to live? Working during med school? Room mates? Loans? I'm seriously freaking out on how I am going to pay for an apartment while in med school.

Members don't see this ad.

For those of you who are heading off to med school,how do you plan on paying for a place to live? Working during med school? Room mates? Loans? I'm seriously freaking out on how I am going to pay for an apartment while in med school.
I plan on having my wife take care of that end of things. However, given that most likely you do not have a spouse to rely upon, I believe (don't hold me to this) that you living expenses are figured into the financial aid packages. Call a medical school and ask to speak with the financial aid office. I should be a quick way to get an answer and you will not have to rely upon the hearsay that proliferates SDN. That being said, if you do take that course of action, please post what you learn on here for the benefit of others. Good luck.

I plan on having my wife take care of that end of things. However, given that most likely you do not have a spouse to rely upon, I believe (don't hold me to this) that you living expenses are figured into the financial aid packages. Call a medical school and ask to speak with the financial aid office. I should be a quick way to get an answer and you will not have to rely upon the hearsay that proliferates SDN. That being said, if you do take that course of action, please post what you learn on here for the benefit of others. Good luck.

That is true. My fiancee will be paying for our apt with her financial aid. However, the amount they give you isn't going to allow for luxury living. You might want to save up some money this summer or beg your parents for some extra money because med schools expect you to live cheaply.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the responses. I've had a job since I was 15, and I've barely spent a dime of that money, but I do think a good chunk of it will be gone this time next year when it's time for me to apply to med school.

Don't worry too much about finances, I haven't encountered a school that stiffs you on loan aid. You can crunch the numbers once it comes down to it, but if you get a roommate and live smartly you'll usually have no problem meeting the budget. Some people can also afford to live alone.

Some med schools will make you agree to not work an outside job during med school as part of your matriculation process. I guess they don't want to risk someone performing poorly.

I talked to a financial aid officer at my school yesterday, and she told me that the aid that you get does figure in your room/board, personal expenses, as well as transportation. They figure the rent to be approx $750/mo when calculating your room/board (at least here). If you get a room-mate, that probably wouldn't be to bad.
Talk to your FAO as soon as you can