Living at home during school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

virilep

What can Brown do for u?
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Allo... so I got a dilemma. kinda crazy. but my parents want to buy a house wherever I end up going to school and are pressing for me to live with them. what do you guys? what would you do? I've weighed the advantages and disadvantages. maybe some of you guys could tell me what ur thinkin?! Maybe if some of you do live with ur rents, what do ya think?

confooosed.

Members don't see this ad.

virilep said:
Hey Allo... so I got a dilemma. kinda crazy. but my parents want to buy a house wherever I end up going to school and are pressing for me to live with them. what do you guys? what would you do? I've weighed the advantages and disadvantages. maybe some of you guys could tell me what ur thinkin?! Maybe if some of you do live with ur rents, what do ya think?

confooosed.

Hmm, a KY Gangsta. In all my years of living in KY (23) I never saw one.

Anyway, it depends on two things:

1.) Do you want the freedom of living alone?

2.) Do you want to avoid the debt of paying for an apartment.

Personally, I would do it because I prefer to keep my personal debt to a minimum. I am not awfully concerned about freedom, as that's not an useful commodity during medical school. In fact, my parents may have kept me more on task with studying and going to class...a concept that was difficult for me, coming out of undergrad.

Reasons to live at home:
1) housing in your city is ridiculously expensive.
2) you've taken a vow of chastity.

Can't think of any others.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok,

I am going to school in the same city as my family. I DO NOT live in the same house as them, and it is for the sake of my own sanity.

You need to ask youself this: how well do you get along with your family? If there is any potential for strife, steer far far away from living with them. You also need to assess how "study-friendly" your family is; mine thinks I should only study about an hour or two a night, and complain that I study too much- HA! Yet another reason I pat myself on the back for telling them no thanks on the housing issue.

As another poster has said, you also need to consider the issue of how open your family will be to your love life. Unless you have vowed to remain a virgin until marriage, this will also become a problem... unless everyone is cool about nights spent out and strangers sleeping over.

Personally, I think this is way too much to deal with, especially when you are starting medical school. Having family around is a great way to spend next-to-nothing on food and laundry, and can be great when you need a support system for sympathy. But other than that, it will probably be like any other family: there to give you something very real to complain about and stress over.

Proceed with caution.

I love my parents dearly but there is no way I could ever do that. As soon as I turned 18 I moved out and could never move back in. I guess I've always wanted to be independent.

All I have to say is that at some point you are going to have to become an adult and live on your own. What about residency, are you going to live with them too?

macdown said:
All I have to say is that at some point you are going to have to become an adult and live on your own. What about residency, are you going to live with them too?

Residency is different though...for once, they're actually paying YOU, not the other way around. In that case, you wouldn't actually be going further in debt to rent an apartment, or whatever.

No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No

Whatever happened to PBMaxx candy bars? They were awesome!

I would do it. I don't live with my parents, so maybe I'm missing something terrible, I would love to not have to pay rent and have food cooked for me. I think those are my two biggest stressors in med school (aside from all the tests. . . )