Living away from family during med school.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pietrantonio

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone currently attending medical school away from their primary residence with a family at home? Are medical students able to reside on campus? Just looking for some insight from those who are in this situation, and how you deal with the cost of living at home in addition to the "crash pad" for medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you mean you have kids and you will be away from them? Or do you mean living away from M&D?

Members don't see this ad :)
I met a couple people at school in your situation. My family is with me for school and will likely have to move again for residency and a job. Is it inconvenient and perhaps hard on them? I suppose. But it's probably easier than the alternative. I would try really hard to figure out a way to move your family with you.

However, if living apart is unavoidable, you won't have trouble securing loans for housing and bills at school. The finances will be easy assuming your wife earns enough to pay the bills at home while you rely on loans to pay the bills at school.

The biggest challenge you will face is going to be maintaining your relationships with the family.

Last edited:
I met a couple people at school in your situation. My family is with me for school and will likely have to move again for residency and a job. Is it inconvenient and perhaps hard on them? I suppose. But it's probably easier than the alternative. I would try really hard to figure out a way to move your family with you.

However, if living apart is unavoidable, you won't have trouble securing loans for housing and bills at school. The finances will be easy assuming your wife earns enough to pay the bills at home while you rely on loans to pay the bills at school.

The biggest challenge you will face is going to be maintaining your relationships with the family.

Moving as a family would be the most ideal option in terms of living expenses, etc. It would be hard to be in different cities for the duration of medical school and possibly residency. Appreciate the reply. Hoping others will chime in if they have personal experiences with this situation.