• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.

Clipslicer

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2003
28
0
Visit site
Status
How many of you medical students live by yourself? I am curious if this is done a lot. I'm thinking that students who barely get off the waiting list to a school may have to live by yourself because they can't find a roommate.

To those that live by themselves, do you like it? I am not sure if i should get a roommate or live by myself. Any opinions?
 

aphistis

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2003
8,392
36
Indianapolis
Status
Attending Physician, Dentist
Originally posted by Clipslicer
How many of you medical students live by yourself? I am curious if this is done a lot. I'm thinking that students who barely get off the waiting list to a school may have to live by yourself because they can't find a roommate.

To those that live by themselves, do you like it? I am not sure if i should get a roommate or live by myself. Any opinions?
Live by myself, and love it. I like spending time with friends and other students at school, but I also love having someplace I can come and know I won't be bothered.
 

kanedoc

Junior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2004
13
0
Visit site
Status
Yeah, I was wondering about living alone as well.

My options:

1) live with current roommate (non med-student) next year (40% likelyhood - dependent on his job situation)

2) live with random roommate (40% likelyhood)

3) live alone (20% likelyhood)

My fear of living alone is lack of social contact. I will have no problems finding study groups, but I really enjoy kicking back with my roommmates at the end of the day and just talking about life.

What do you med students find as the benefits and the detracters of living alone?
 
About the Ads

Clipslicer

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2003
28
0
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by aphistis
Live by myself, and love it. I like spending time with friends and other students at school, but I also love having someplace I can come and know I won't be bothered.
Really? How much time do you actually spend at your apartment. I figure most time is spent in school but I'm not exactly sure how much.
 

taehong81

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2003
318
6
Status
Attending Physician
I am also thinking about living by myself. Having lived with roommates for the last three years, I think it would be a good break and try living by myself. If I find out that my social life is hurting because I live by myself I would get a roommate next year. The only thing that concern me is that living alone will cost more.
 

::Seabass::

bringing burkas back!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2002
8,706
1
40
redneck heaven
Status
you're social life isn't gonna be hurt by living alone. at the beginning of school, the vast majority of your classmates will be looking to make friends and all kinds of functions will be set up and all it takes is meeting one person at orientation so you have someone to show up with if you don't like showing up alone.

most people I know jet when class is over and those who do study at school usually don't return till night time.

there will be a lot of times when you like your classmates, but you're ready to not look at them for a couple hours or days. coming home and having to deal with a bad roommate situation when you're stressed first semester about tests will just make things worse.

I wouldn't recommend living with someone with a pretty active social life. you're gonna need someone who will understand during test time that it needs to be quiet and you need the sleep when you can get it.
 

Clipslicer

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2003
28
0
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by ::Seabass::
you're social life isn't gonna be hurt by living alone. at the beginning of school, the vast majority of your classmates will be looking to make friends and all kinds of functions will be set up and all it takes is meeting one person at orientation so you have someone to show up with if you don't like showing up alone.

most people I know jet when class is over and those who do study at school usually don't return till night time.

there will be a lot of times when you like your classmates, but you're ready to not look at them for a couple hours or days. coming home and having to deal with a bad roommate situation when you're stressed first semester about tests will just make things worse.

I wouldn't recommend living with someone with a pretty active social life. you're gonna need someone who will understand during test time that it needs to be quiet and you need the sleep when you can get it.
Thanks seabass, that makes sense. The thing is I've always had a roommate here in undergrad so I don't know how I would feel living by myself. I've heard it's much better but I'm just scared I'll get lonely.
 

Disenchanted 1

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2004
530
1
38
Austin, Texas
www.google.com
Status
I will be living by myself and can't imagine otherwise. I need to have my privacy and plus who knows what kinda roommate I will have.
 

Disenchanted 1

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2004
530
1
38
Austin, Texas
www.google.com
Status
Clip,

I can understand your concern about loneliness. I like you have never lived alone and it sorta worries me as well. However, I think that the feeling might be more awkward than anything. It might just need a lil adjustment. Personally, I am more concerned for safety as I will be attending UTMB in Galveston....and well I have heard some rather freaky stories...!! So that is about it. But if you think about it I think leaving alone gives not only privacy but freedom which to me is wonderful. I would much rather not put up with someone who for example, is dirty (i like things organized). So my approach to immediately get rid of *start of med school loneliness* is to make some good friends from my class (and thankfully having 200 students I hope to be able to easily find one) and plan to do activities, whether studying or working out or social outing, with them.
 

sunflower79

Plays well with knives
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 26, 2001
740
3
Status
Attending Physician
don't worry about this silly loneliness thing. if you are like most students and not a loner, you will be seeing your fellow classmates more than you want in school and doing things with them outside of school.
 

Akuffo

An Old Folk
15+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2003
238
1
localhost:ubuntu server
www.vincecarter.2ya.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Originally posted by sunflower79
don't worry about this silly loneliness thing. if you are like most students and not a loner, you will be seeing your fellow classmates more than you want in school and doing things with them outside of school.
thats pretty true, there is nothing special about sharing a room with someone. It can be headache sometimes. +pissed+
We all have too much socialization anyway. Man really needs some privacy.
 

erinmed2k4

Junior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2003
17
0
NY
Visit site
Status
There is no guarantee that you would even like your roommate and want to spend time with them (if it is a random classmate). Ever heard of being alone in a crowd? Sure, it might be nice to have another warm body there but it seems like a gamble in terms of friendship. You will find friends and hang out with them (either studying or having fun) and I suspect that you will be so busy that you will look forward to having a few minutes to yourself at home. The biggest negative to me would be the cost of renting with no one to share the burden because 1 bedroom apartments are never half the cost of 2 bedroom apartments :)
 

SilverAngel1110

just plain old me
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2002
124
0
Over the river...
Visit site
Status
i lived with roommates all four years of college, and now live alone for med school. i (for the most part) enjoyed living with roommates when i had my own room and when they were people i got along with. (first year of college, my roommate and i didn't get along at all, and that was hell). living alone, however, is great, in my opinion. even though i had a blast with my roommates junior and senior year of college, every now and then, there'd be drama about who had to clean the bathroom, who ate whose food, who was having a breakdown about school, who was being too loud, etc. living alone, i don't have to deal with any of that. sometimes i miss having people around to chill with, but i'm pretty introverted and don't enjoy constant socializing anyway. i need a significant amount of time by myself or i go crazy. besides, i don't have the kind of time i did in college to just kick back and hang out anyway. so all in all, living alone gets two thumbs up from me!
 
About the Ads

Asher

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2003
130
0
Visit site
Status
I'd recommend either living alone or living with another med student. My friends that had non-med school roommates said it was really hard (especially during gross and just adjusting to med school in general at the beginning of the M1 year) seeing their roommates having a much more active social life and/or more financial resources. You'll have plenty of socialization so I wouldn't worry about living alone.

I loved being able to come home to my own place and not having to worry about issues like who left dirty dishes in the sink or whose turn it is to buy milk. Plus there were lots of time during med school when I just needed some alone time to help cope with stress.
 

denali

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2003
364
17
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Originally posted by SilverAngel1110
i lived with roommates all four years of college, and now live alone for med school. i (for the most part) enjoyed living with roommates when i had my own room and when they were people i got along with. (first year of college, my roommate and i didn't get along at all, and that was hell). living alone, however, is great, in my opinion. even though i had a blast with my roommates junior and senior year of college, every now and then, there'd be drama about who had to clean the bathroom, who ate whose food, who was having a breakdown about school, who was being too loud, etc. living alone, i don't have to deal with any of that. sometimes i miss having people around to chill with, but i'm pretty introverted and don't enjoy constant socializing anyway. i need a significant amount of time by myself or i go crazy. besides, i don't have the kind of time i did in college to just kick back and hang out anyway. so all in all, living alone gets two thumbs up from me!
Wow, that pretty much sums up my experience too! At 32 y/o, I don't "do the roommate thing" anymore;)
 

nutmegs

ASA Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2003
906
0
Visit site
Status
I have a fantastic situation- a roomate who goes to another medical school. we both know what the other is going through, but not up each other's butts 24/7. it works out SO well.
 

rjhtamu

Stargazer Royale
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2001
466
0
Houston, Tx
Visit site
Status
I've lived alone for the past five years and really prefer it. Although I also grew up as an only child and really independent to begin with. I just like coming home to privacy I guess.
 

Disenchanted 1

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2004
530
1
38
Austin, Texas
www.google.com
Status
Originally posted by DoctorWannaBe
Unlike most of you, I have lived alone for the past 3 years. It does get lonely, but at least I have two cats to keep me company. I've never had a roommate and am thinking about getting one for med school since I've never had that experience and would like the company. You do get used to living alone, however, and it is nice to have your privacy. If you have friends that you see regularly and you are at school most of the day, maybe it won't be that bad living alone.
I guess grass is always greener on the other side ;)

Here is another question for you guys,

Do you guys place any importance on the proximity of the apartment to the school? I was definitely looking for one closer to the med school (and my med school is not affiliated with an undergrad but it does have other allied health sciences such as nursing, pa, etc). Also this comes from a perspective of a girl, so what worries me I guess is safety.
 

ericdamiansean

High Profiler
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2003
1,191
4
37
Status
Resident [Any Field]
you really should live by yourself

not only do you get more privacy, but you might wake up smack in the middle of the night to study, and if your roomie's sleeping..tat's not very nice

you can make/mix with your friends outside

alot more of stuff you can do alone..music,tv etc..
 

Disenchanted 1

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2004
530
1
38
Austin, Texas
www.google.com
Status
Originally posted by ericdamiansean
you really should live by yourself

not only do you get more privacy, but you might wake up smack in the middle of the night to study, and if your roomie's sleeping..tat's not very nice

you can make/mix with your friends outside

alot more of stuff you can do alone..music,tv etc..
hehe.....you forgot sex!! w/o having to worry about her/him not hearing/waking up...blah blah:smuggrin: ;)
 

FLgirl

Junior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2003
15
0
Miami
Visit site
Status
I lived with roommates all throughout college and for a couple years after. Then I got my own apartment when I started med school. While I loved having roommates it's nice to have my own place to come home to. I wasn't in to living with somone random. And the people I already knew in the city had regular jobs. I just didn't think our schedules would mesh. Basically, when I have to study on a Friday night I like to pretend the whole world is studying. And when I finish an exam and want to get crazy on a Monday night I don't want to be bothering anyone.

As for the loneliness thing- you can always go to the library and find someone from class there;)

Disenchanted- Proximity is a big plus. When you're really tired driving 45 min is not fun. Actually driving 45 min to class in general isn't fun. I know several people who don't come to class just becuase they don't want to waste time commuting. Of course, try to find a safe place or a building with security.
 

evescadeceus

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2002
130
2
Visit site
Status
If you're over the age of say, twenty five or twenty six, I can't imagine why you wouldn't prefer your own shack compared to sharing it with some random person. I will be in the position of getting plucked off a waitlist at the very end of the applicantion cycle, but I have also been in grad school before in a small department where we all pretty much knew about each others' rooming situation. Mine was less than I could have hoped for, and the same was true for almost everyone in my department. I can't imagine putting myself through all the issues that a random roommate generates a second time while I'm in medical school. I'm even planning on doing my hoped-for school's independent study program, so that I can substitute teach one day a week to pay for my own place.
 
  • Like
Reactions: orangeblue

ericdamiansean

High Profiler
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2003
1,191
4
37
Status
Resident [Any Field]
:D
oh yeah..wanted to post that...thought you would never noticed..

read between the lines..ALONE means ALOT of things..

wanking as well would be easier

it's quite hard for the couple who's making out and then, click..door opens..worse case senario..your parents wanted to visit you AND they bumped into your roomie who lets them in while you were in the throes of passion:laugh: :love:
 

Disenchanted 1

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2004
530
1
38
Austin, Texas
www.google.com
Status
ericdamiansean said:
:D
oh yeah..wanted to post that...thought you would never noticed..

read between the lines..ALONE means ALOT of things..

wanking as well would be easier

it's quite hard for the couple who's making out and then, click..door opens..worse case senario..your parents wanted to visit you AND they bumped into your roomie who lets them in while you were in the throes of passion:laugh: :love:
OMG....haha......wtf was your roommate thinking!?? I would have been ready to choke my roommate :eek: :smuggrin:
hehe.....nothing ruins a session of deep love making (literally) like your mom and dad walking on you! :laugh:
 

Disenchanted 1

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2004
530
1
38
Austin, Texas
www.google.com
Status
FLgirl said:
Disenchanted- Proximity is a big plus. When you're really tired driving 45 min is not fun. Actually driving 45 min to class in general isn't fun. I know several people who don't come to class just becuase they don't want to waste time commuting. Of course, try to find a safe place or a building with security.
Yea, that's what I gathered just from having to commute 30 min in undergrad....I was right about ready to knock everyone's car out of my freaken way during those high traffic hours :smuggrin:

Actually my *prospective* apartment is right across the med school and I mean right across!! :p
 
Apr 6, 2004
42
10
47
Cincinnati, OH
Status
Attending Physician
Disenchanted 1 said:
I guess grass is always greener on the other side ;)

Here is another question for you guys,

Do you guys place any importance on the proximity of the apartment to the school? I was definitely looking for one closer to the med school (and my med school is not affiliated with an undergrad but it does have other allied health sciences such as nursing, pa, etc). Also this comes from a perspective of a girl, so what worries me I guess is safety.
Depends on a number of your personal preferences and environmental considerations:

1) Do you prefer to study at school or the school library or are you an at-home study type? Some schools have great libraries to study in and it's worth being within walking distance.

2) For clerkships if all of your rotations are at the hospital(s) on campus, this can be a great advantage being able to walk to work in the morning. On the other hand, you may be going to pre-round at 4 or 5 in the morning so definitely consider the safety of the area (though I've usually found that no one is up and about at this hour of the morning except fellow med students! well, except for weekend nights/mornings...)

3) Do you have strong green/environmental feelings?

4) Don't forget you may also have rotations at a number of sites, sometimes even in different cities. Consider where the majority of your rotations will be.



I've done both. The majority of my clinical clerkships were on the main campus hospitals and I drove to school (which was great in the morning, not so great at night as I usually got out by rush hour :( ). It was nice though having a transition time from home to work though! I used my commute to listen to books on tape and NPR. For my rotations away at the branch campus, I lived in student housing provided by the school that was literally 1.5 blocks away from the hospital. I loved the convenience of proximity, often eating lunch at home. Also, it was great being able to study at the hospital library (especially since the physician lounge was next door and there was always great coffee and snacks in there!)

Good luck!
 
B

Blade28

Yup, am currently living by myself in a one-bedroom apartment. Have been doing so since the start of med school.
 

dochoot

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2002
13
0
with Angelina and Jessica (we share)
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I would definitely vote for living by yourself. Also I live real close to my school, less than 5 min walk, and love being so close. If I have a free hour or two I can go home and relax. Very nice!
 

DrWuStar

YUM
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2003
657
1
NYC
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
personally, i hate living with room mates. there is always so much drama. i like things to be clean, and most of my friends are messy. every time i've lived with one of them, the drama about dishes always takes a toll on the friendship.

on the other hand, it is cheaper to share a place with someone else, so if you can stand it (or might even like it) it's probably worth saving yourself some cash.

back on the first hand, think about where you are at in life. i think it's really valuable to live completely on your own for a while. many people i know went straight from living with room mates to being married, and now really wish they had had the chance to live by themselves for a while. so if you think you might end up married in the next few years or at the end of med school or whatever, it might be a good experience to live alone for a while.
 

NEmed

Junior Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 6, 2004
9
0
Visit site
Status
I agree with the above poster - I firmly believe that everyone should live by themselves for at least some period of time before getting married, if that is what you are looking for in life.

I had pleasant roommates throughout undergrad & then I lived with one other good friend my 1st year of med school. She, however, was a 5th year undergrad student, who was also really bright (besides the senioritis) so she spent lots of time socializing. While she was one of my dearest friends, there was definitely a mean little part of me that resented all of her free time & socialization when I was missing the same. (and I'm not a gunner, promise, but no one has the free time of a 5th year senior! :) ) I think this feeling is probably relatively common. or else I'm just mean. :)

In any case, I live by myself now & it has been very enjoyable. I don't get at all lonely, although I do have a fiance who visits me nearly every day. I really, truly think especially for med students who have a great deal of studying to do & then probably just want to relax & decompress sometimes, that living alone is a wonderful option. The only downside that I see is the cost, it really is more than twice as expensive as living with a roommate, just from rent alone.
 
B

Blade28

DrWuStar said:
personally, i hate living with room mates. there is always so much drama. i like things to be clean, and most of my friends are messy. every time i've lived with one of them, the drama about dishes always takes a toll on the friendship.
Ah, but wait until you get REALLY busy. Then maybe the dishes will pile up, as will the dirty clothes in the laundry basket, etc. :)
 
About the Ads