Quantcast

Living Close vs Living Far

Achieve USMLE Step PREP Success | Picmonic
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

masteroc

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
SDN,

I'm trying to decide if I want to live closer to school for more money or further away (20-35min wo/w traffic) for much less. I'll try and include the relevant info without this being too long. The school is located in the suburbs of a city so either way I won't be in a downtown area. The close apartment is about 5 min drive from school and is in a very nice gated community. The house that I am looking at (20-35min away) is a family rental that I can live for very cheaply. It is a nice house but is a bit of a drive.

This probably goes against a lot of advice, but the money does not matter as much to me as the ability to have a good medical school social life. I don't mean that I want to party every day, but I would like to be able to have people over for board games or watching sports or whatever. I've heard from some students that living close by for the first year really helps develop your friend group.

I wanted to get everyone's opinion on how easy it is to form friends and stay social when you live about a 25 minute drive away. There is no public transport here to use so that's out as well. Basically just looking for some advice from both sides (close and far) on how easy/hard it was to start/stay social.

Thanks

P.S. I would be moving 3+4 year for rotations so longevity doesn't really enter into the equation.

pramirez184

Reaction score
If you live far away, there is no way you can run home to grab something you forgot (computer charger for example), and I would imagine that would be frustrating. Personally, I chose the live close by while paying more route because of convenience and my school is downtown. Also, I have a dog, so I need to be able to run home to let him out.