Living expenses only for 10 months? O_O

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lys Ile Glu Leu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So the school I'll be attending factors in living expenses as part of the cost of attendance for 10 months out of the year for three out of the four years.

Any advice on how people survive the other two months (budgeting, etc)?

This question is particularly, but by no means exclusively, directed toward medical students with families.

Members don't see this ad.

So the school I'll be attending factors in living expenses as part of the cost of attendance for 10 months out of the year for three out of the four years.

Any advice on how people survive the other two months (budgeting, etc)?

This question is particularly, but by no means exclusively, directed toward medical students with families.

In for answer as well. Exact same situation.

yep same here, I have been wondering about this too. Do they expect us to get summer jobs? Seems like with the rough economy employers will look down on hiring help for just a summer-long position.

What also doesn't make sense to me is that there really is no summer between M3 and M4, so there isn't even the option to work for monthly costs at that point.. right?

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe this is why they overestimate on our CoA for the 10 month budget. Don't max out the loan and spend it all in the those 10 months and there should be no concerns. This is what my friends have done.

It seems counter-productive for them to spend the time to carefully produce a monthly budget for our living expenses, just for us to have to then recalculate them, since the amounts shown are way different than what we will use because of those extra 2 months for rent and living. Why not just make a 12-month budget for us to follow? Makes little sense.

Federal regulations.

Just like it you technically can't use the money to buy a car or for moving expenses, CoA has to be calculated based on the months you are in class. However schools realize this isn't a realistic situtation and overestimate their CoA which is why you can get away without taking out the full amount in many cases.

Last edited:
I believe this is why they overestimate on our CoA for the 10 month budget. Don't max out the loan and spend it all in the those 10 months and there should be no concerns. This is what my friends have done.

Cool avatar.

Our CoA has some pretty low end estimates on some things such as rent. In the area, I'm having a hard time finding a decent place under $700/month, but our rent/month estimate and allowance is closer to $600. Just one example, but there are more.

Just got to budget. Mint.com is helpful for some.

Survivor DO

Federal regulations.

Just like it you technically can't use the money to buy a car or for moving expenses, CoA has to be calculated based on the months you are in class. However schools realize this and over estimate which is why you can get away without taking out the full amount in many cases.

+1

I looked at the cost of attendance of schools that I was deciding between and saw a *significant* difference. One school in particular was incredibly strict on the budget, while another school offers an allowance for students that are residents of states beyond that school's state bordering states.

Anyway, you can also look for summer research opportunities that offer a stipend. Not all research is lab based either... :)

There's no way the schools estimated COA won't be able to cover you for 12 months. I'm shelling out insane rent (NYC problems) and can stay under under the school's estimated cost with the summer included.

Do the math out and I think you'll find the amount you need for food/rent/life is less than recommended.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a BIG difference if you have a family.

For those who have commented about COA being more than enough, it is...for one person. If you are feeding, clothing and housing 4 people, the COA is spread very thin.

If its just you and spouse, no big deal. Spouse can even work and youd be even better off.

If its you and one kid, still not too bad. When you start getting into two kids, or if your one kid is older, life gets very expensive and the schools COA won't likely cover all your costs. One option that is available is Military. Yes, there are parts that suck, but you could be getting an extra 2200 a month (less after taxes) which is a lifesaver for some. Not to mention $20K signing bonus, and full pay (nearly $5000/month) for 1 1/2months a year. Along with them paying all school fees, etc.

But, like all the wise people say, know what you are getting into with the military. Some love it, some hate it. Dont take anyone else's opinion as your own, but do gather as much info on it as you can and see how the pros and cons weigh out for you.

Also, with military, you need to see how your school counts the stipend. Some schools count it as scholarship, even though its taxed so they should not. If they do count the stipend against your borrowing limit, then the whole idea changes greatly. PM me if you feel like more on that.

If you dont do military, you can try to see if your school will raise your COA. They hate to do it, but if you come to them with an itemized budget and show them legitimate expenses, they could work with you.

Lastly, dont feel bad about using government help for food, etc, during this time. You will be paying into those great programs for the rest of your life and they are best utilized when they help someone along who is helping themselves as well.

Good luck...others are have done it, and are doing it, so it can be done! Even though its stressful.

good luck

is borrowing additional money in private loans an option?

is borrowing additional money in private loans an option?

Most private loans must be school certified, so you would only get as much from those as you would from grad plus (up to COA - other Financial Aid) They can be lower percentages, but dont carry the same beneficial repayment plans that government loans do.

There are uncertified private loans, but are generally considered less desirable. I haven't looked into any, but i would assume higher interest rates and less reputable banks, which could mean worse business practices, etc.

This question is only really applicable to families. If you are young and can't stretch the CoA an extra two months then you're doing it very, very wrong.

They usually way overestimate the CoA. For my school if I max out my loans I can get about $40000 more than the tuition PER YEAR. Considering the rental prices and everything else in the area, this is more than enough.
Most people/families can live on $40K a year (if you spouse works) last time I went out and talked to people, which was about a year ago

Last edited:
They usually way overestimate the CoA. For my school if I max out my loans I can get about $40000 more than the tuition PER YEAR. Considering the rental prices and everything else in the area, this is more than enough.
Most people/families can live on $40K a year (if you spouse works) last time I went out and talked to people, which was about a year ago

WOW

I think its more common to have about 18-20K in living expenses.

Thats pretty cool though...that (meaning $40K) is def enough for even a family to live on, even without spouse working, if 2 kids or less and you run a tight ship. Wish all schools followed this plan. If a single person is dumb enough to take on the extra debt, thats up to them. But, sure makes life easier for families.

Last edited:
WOW

I think its more common to have about 18-20K in living expenses.

Thats pretty cool though...thats def enough for even a family to live on, even without spouse working, if 2 kids or less and you run a tight ship. Wish all schools followed this plan. If a single person is dumb enough to take on the extra debt, thats up to them. But, sure makes life easier for families.

Didn't know that, the schools I interviewed at all happened to have $40K for living expenses

with the exception of CCOM i dont remember anyone having even close to that for the living expenses. most i saw were 20-25 thousand which to me seems tight for a family of 4 without any additional income but maybe im just not as good at budgeting as you guys.

Agreed, most that I saw were between $15,000 and $28,000. Definitely spreads it thin if you have a family and your spouse doesn't work. $28,000 really isn't that bad, but if you have 2+ kids it could be.

with the exception of CCOM i dont remember anyone having even close to that for the living expenses. most i saw were 20-25 thousand which to me seems tight for a family of 4 without any additional income but maybe im just not as good at budgeting as you guys.

Agreed, most that I saw were between $15,000 and $28,000. Definitely spreads it thin if you have a family and your spouse doesn't work. $28,000 really isn't that bad, but if you have 2+ kids it could be.

This is very true. In fact, its somewhat maddening that schools would limit their students to something so low. They should all just give $40K/year allowance and let us, grownups, make our own financial decisions. Its about that time in life...and its not like the government would mind making one of the best investments it can make (i.e. funding medical education).

This is very true. In fact, its somewhat maddening that schools would limit their students to something so low. They should all just give $40K/year allowance and let us, grownups, make our own financial decisions. Its about that time in life...and its not like the government would mind making one of the best investments it can make (i.e. funding medical education).

I think this is a more recent problem. Students have gotten older (and more with families) especially at DO schools and tuition has increased significantly. I think schools just havent really adjusted to that. I imagine 20 years ago there weren't that many students trying to support a family on loan money alone. Also I think the income level of incoming students has become more diverse so perhaps before people's parents supported them through school? I dont know this is all simply speculation.

I think this is a more recent problem. Students have gotten older (and more with families) especially at DO schools and tuition has increased significantly. I think schools just havent really adjusted to that. I imagine 20 years ago there weren't that many students trying to support a family on loan money alone. Also I think the income level of incoming students has become more diverse so perhaps before people's parents supported them through school? I dont know this is all simply speculation.

Thats what one would think, but its actually gotten worse in recent time. Student loans a decade ago (or more) were much more lenient. There was even subsidized graduate loans with APRs in the 2-3%'s. And its a more recent legislation (mid 2000's I think) that have stipulated that loans are for student only, and not family, making it that much harder for non-trads to go back to school. But Im not bitter or anything :smuggrin:

It sickens me that mortgages are at 2-3% interest but the government's best offer to grad students is 6-8% interest.

It sickens me that mortgages are at 2-3% interest but the government's best offer to grad students is 6-8% interest.

I'm really waiting to see what happens in 2016 when we get a more accurate loan averages. Previously, that 6.8% interest was covered until you graduated, leaving you with essentially the principal for tuition to pay back through the subsidized loans. Legislation changed that for graduate students, so now the whole loan will be accruing interest throughout our time in school. I'd imagine in the future the average med school loans, which are now in the $150k-$200k range, to increase to $200k-$250k.

I'm really waiting to see what happens in 2016 when we get a more accurate loan averages. Previously, that 6.8% interest was covered until you graduated, leaving you with essentially the principal for tuition to pay back through the subsidized loans. Legislation changed that for graduate students, so now the whole loan will be accruing interest throughout our time in school. I'd imagine in the future the average med school loans, which are now in the $150k-$200k range, to increase to $200k-$250k.

If my memory serves me right, subsidized loans were only up to $8500. While it was a nice perk, it would change the loan amount from $150k-$200k to $156k-$206k (or something like that).

If my memory serves me right, subsidized loans were only up to $8500. While it was a nice perk, it would change the loan amount from $150k-$200k to $156k-$206k (or something like that).

Kami, are you thinking about undergrad limits though? Im pretty sure it was closer to $20K+ for graduate. But, I guess it doesn't matter that much since its gone for us!!

I thought that as well. Also, it was annual right? So basically times 4.

I think it was 8500 per year. I understand why people in general dont care that much about grad students and their loans though I think med students/health care professionals (not mgmt) should be in a different category. Everyone in the world is borrowing money for grad school and I understand why people dont want to fund frivilous degrees.

I think it was 8500 per year. I understand why people in general dont care that much about grad students and their loans though I think med students/health care professionals (not mgmt) should be in a different category. Everyone in the world is borrowing money for grad school and I understand why people dont want to fund frivilous degrees.

You might be right with subsidized being 8500/yr in the past...

Medical students are in a separate category than most other grad loan limits (we get like $46K/year instead of $20K). But, schools put the COA limits that can be very difficult for the non single types.

Kami, are you thinking about undergrad limits though? Im pretty sure it was closer to $20K+ for graduate. But, I guess it doesn't matter that much since its gone for us!!

It used to be $8500/year subsidized for graduate students; for undergraduates it was $3500 the first year, $4500 the second, and max out at $5500/year.

You're right it doesn't matter to us but I also think it's dangerous to idealize the past.

But...the past has lego's and 90's music :(

;)

You're conveniently forgetting the big hair, flannel, and neon colors too:p

I do miss cargo shorts though, they were very convenient.

You're conveniently forgetting the big hair, flannel, and neon colors too:p

I do miss cargo shorts though, they were very convenient.

Well you're in luck I think European's still wear them