Living frugally in Limerick

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

viau_alex

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I was recently accepted to start the Graduate Entry Medical School (GEMS) program at the University of Limerick. As most of you potential international students may already have acknowledged, this round of studies will likely cost you more than you have ever paid for your undergrad (perhaps not for those students from the US). I'm opening this forum with the hope that we might put our heads together in discussing the pros and cons of on/off-campus living, what modes of transportation are the best for getting around, or simply where one can find the cheapest waterproof clothing (Limerick is supposed to get a lot of rain year round).

I only found out about my acceptance recently so I am still in the infancy stages of my research. I will continue on looking for all and everything there is to know about the simple art of living in Limerick; I'm sure there are tips and tricks, they simply need to be found.

Post away!

Alex

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

I was recently accepted to start the Graduate Entry Medical School (GEMS) program at the University of Limerick. As most of you potential international students may already have acknowledged, this round of studies will likely cost you more than you have ever paid for your undergrad (perhaps not for those students from the US). I'm opening this forum with the hope that we might put our heads together in discussing the pros and cons of on/off-campus living, what modes of transportation are the best for getting around, or simply where one can find the cheapest waterproof clothing (Limerick is supposed to get a lot of rain year round).

I only found out about my acceptance recently so I am still in the infancy stages of my research. I will continue on looking for all and everything there is to know about the simple art of living in Limerick; I'm sure there are tips and tricks, they simply need to be found.

Post away!

Alex
i can't offer you any info, i'm still waiting on acceptances, but congrats!!! :)

Hello all,

Post away!

Alex

If you check out the Interview for Limerick thread, a couple of us have put together some information and tips.

The MedSoc will also be posting a document soonish to help you guys in the next little while set things up.

But, a short answer to your questions:

~ Waterproof clothing - get a good rainjacket back home. Not sure if you're Canadian or American, but in Canada, SportChek, MEC, whatever. That's all you need. It doesn't really get cold here (the coldest was 0, but most "cold" days were 5-8 degrees), so a rainjacket with a sweater works fine. Get a good one. No use going cheap when it leaks and you have to buy a new one anyway.

~ Transportation - bus into town from campus or any of the student areas off campus is easy and direct. The 304 or 307 take you right downtown. Those are the main buses - 307 costs 1.60 Euro and 304 costs 1.80. There are some things within walking distance depending on where you live. And if you find an Irish classmate with a car, it can help. Many people have bought bikes as well.

~ Pros of living on campus - live with med students, close to class (handy when it rains ....), easy access to a place for a break / place to study or eat on an hour break, convenience

~ Cons of living on campus - it's a bit more expensive (though depending on your bills / roommates / landlord issues, this can wrack up $$$ too), you don't get off campus as much

The residences aren't what you'd think of back home. They are really quite nice (especially Quigley). Apartment style. Everyone has their own bathroom and room (yes, own bathroom). Kitchen is stocked with appliances, pots, pans, utensils, glassware, etc. So you don't have to start from scratch that way.

Like I said though, there will be a document the lovely people from MedSoc will be posting (I think in the FB group for your class). There will also be a whole week with tours into town from upper years that will explain and show you things.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello all,

Post away!

Alex

Hi Alex,

Congratulations on your acceptance! Feel free to join the facebook group for the class of 2018 if you haven't done so already. (https://www.facebook.com/groups/546538502126796/) We will be posting a document with lots of essential information (accommodation, getting to and from limerick, cell phone plans, etc.) very shortly. Feel free to ask questions on here as well. In the mean time, just sit tight and enjoy your acceptance and your summer vacation!

Reactions: 1 user