1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Living in between U of C and Advocate Christ

Discussion in 'General Residency Issues' started by Mista Suprane, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Mista Suprane

Mista Suprane Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    couples matching (myself at U of C, and her at Christ). trying to determine the viability of the following before we finalize our rank list. our goals are (like everyone else) to minimize commuting, and live in a safe neighborhood. don't mind suburbs, but would prefer the city, although i do know that the area south of U of C in the city is not very nice.

what neighborhoods are good, and what might the avg. commute be for each of us? so far, it seems the midway area is practical. also, if we do decide to live in hyde park, how long would it take to get to christ? any help would be appreciated.

2. dc2md

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    are you talking about University of Cincinnati and Christ Hospital in Cinci?

3. OP
    OP
    Mista Suprane

Mista Suprane Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    no.

university of chicago and advocate christ hospital in chicago.

4. drwatson

drwatson Stern. Stern but fair.
    2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm not entirely certain where Advocate Christ is located but if it is in the City, I would *highly* recommend living in the city. If it isn't check the Metra schedules to see when the trains come and go.

And if there is a car involved the choice is simple...buy a Cubs jersey, get a six pack of Old Style tall boys, and find yourself a nice apartment in the greatest city in the world.

I hope to have a similar problem in 1 year. Good luck.

5. werewethere

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    In general, the area around Christ is basically pretty safe, rather affordable. Probably about 20-30 minutes from Hyde Park to Oak Lawn. Neighborhood around Midway is blue color, probably can get decent prices, but then there are the planes, the nearby industrial works, the lack of particularly exciting activities in the area, and the area is changing, just as are the nearby towns of Berwyn, Cicero, and Stickney.
    Hyde Park is a pretty cool neighborhood, but it is not the safest, especially at night, and the parking can be a mess.
    Have you considered the new South Loop? It would be about 15 minutes for the U of C person, and about 30-45 minutes for the Christ person. I know it sounds far, but the area is really gentrifying fast, so you could come out ahead in a few years, and you would be very close to downtown and the lake.

Lots of other ideas too, but it depends on what you are looking for exactly.