Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

living in ft. lauderdale?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by smileforme31, Jan 4, 2009.

1. smileforme31

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    How hot and humid is it? does it really get to you at school?

i know about the living cost i just want to know if the hot and humid weather gets on your nerves.

if anyone knows: how many korean restaurants and groceries are there? i heard theres a korea town in hollywood, fl... which is pretty close to nova.. how is it?
    thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. HupHolland

5+ Year Member

Dentist
    I grew up in West Palm Beach which is basically in the same metropolis as Ft Lauderdale, so I suppose I can give some input on the weather. Personally, the hot and humid weather drove me crazy. So much so I didn't even apply to Nova because I knew that I couldn't spend 4 more years of my life in south Florida. However, if you've spent your entire life up north you may find the weather as a refreshing escape of the cold.

Also, be aware that you will be dealing with a lot of very rude people in south florida, many of which refuse the learn the english language. that was another pet peeve of mine.

Hup

4. smurf528

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I have lived in Florida my whole life! The weather is not that bad, but for the past two months it has been randomly getting hot and cold. The humidity is probably the worst during the summer since it rains a lot also. It really just depends on where you're from. If you can stand the heat then you'll be fine. If you can't stand it at all than I would find another school. I wouldn't want to go to school being all cranky from the heat.

5. vlct0ria

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I grew up in Naples, FL (a little further south than Ft. Laudy, on the west coast), and I HATED the humidity...it did get very very hot in the summer, but this time of year isn't too bad. I prefer cooler weather, so its kind of annoying that you can really only wear a jacket about a week a year. I don't know about a Korea town, but I've been to Hollywood and it has some nice beaches (just like Ft. Lauderdale) and cool beachside shops and restaurants. But the best thing about Ft. Lauderdale is definitely its proximity to SOUTH BEACH!

6. xtractime

5+ Year Member

Dentist
    not to be ethnocentric (i am a minority also), but this is 100% true. everyone will speak spanish to you whether you look like u know it or not (lets just say i don't not even closely resemble a hispanic). and when you respond that you don't speak spanish, they will proceed to speak perfect english, which makes you wonder why they even tried to speak spanish to you in the first place. and as was previously stated, the culture is rude down there, driving, service, etc. for those that aren't accustomed to it.

as far as koreatown....there is a so called chinatown on 163rd in north miami beach that consists of maybe 2 small asian grocery stores and a number of resturants. really weak in my opinion, but its called the miami chinatown. with that said, i can hardly imagine what a koreatown would be considered in ft. laudy. don't get your hopes up. asians make up a very small percentage of south FL.

humidity is doable for ppl that grew up in the area. for someone that comes from the north it might be unbearable the first few months. you will walk around with a thin film of constant sweat on your skin. and when it dries while you are indoors, you will probably feel "dirty". but your body will probably adapt within a few weeks/months and you won't feel as hot. enjoy that sweat!!!

7. TJNova2011

5+ Year Member

Dentist
    Imagine walking out side and within minutes, it feels like you were dumped in water, but it is really sweat. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

8. smileforme31

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    thank you all. all these comments are helping me ! thanks!

9. Sublimation

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Florida isnt bad. Nothing u wont be able to deal with. In the summer ya the humidity will get to u, and ull prolly find urself showering more often then you think. But, winters down here are beautiful. In my personal opinion, as long as you have a car with a kickass A/C you will be just fine :).

10. Ding2daDong

10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I was born in Fort Myers but have lived most of my life here in Fort Lauderdale.

Lets just say while everyone up north is getting hit with blizzards and 4' of snow we are at the beach enjoying pina coladas while getting a tan!

The humidity gets bad for a couple months while your black car turns into an oven of death. lol This shouldn't keep you away. If you are from up north it may seem like a dream vacation that you don't want to end.

Nova is a school and just like up north when it's snowing outside they put on the heat, when it is hot outside (everyday) they crank the A/C. Walking to your car will not make you melt. Now walking in the summer a couple blocks may start the beads of sweat to pile up.

hth

-Matthew

:D

11. AMP11

AMP11 Blah!!!
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I agree with Sublimation. I have lived in FL for a long while and love the weather. The winters are wonderful and not too cold. Summer does get hot but just don't go outside lol!