living in NYC as resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ydalegrog

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So considering the program in Brooklyn that does not offer subsidized housing, and looks like the salary is 57000-60000-ish for PGY-1.

As a single, where do people live on this salary? Don't care about not living in manhattan even though the program website says people do. Was hoping to not having to get a roommate, ok with studio/1br.

Might need a car.

Open to considering queens, brooklyn, manhattan, staten island, even jersey if commuting isn't too terrible.

Past posts seem dated from 2011 etc so wanted to get opinions from those currently living there!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I lived there a few years ago for intern year making about 61,000 I believe. I had a 1 bedroom in Brooklyn and I lucked out and my rent was 1500. Yes that was almost half my paycheck but it wasn’t horrible as I didn’t have many other expenses. If you’re also open to a roommate you should be fine.

I have more recent info too if you’d like to pm me.

If you're in Brooklyn it might be easier just to stay in Brooklyn.

Where in Brooklyn is your program? Generally the farther you get from Manhattan the cheaper the rent.

What about hospitals in the Bronx? Can you commute from further north? What's living in the Bronx like? Looking online rent is crazy expensive, at least 1,500 for a 1 bdr/studio.

What about hospitals in the Bronx? Can you commute from further north? What's living in the Bronx like? Looking online rent is crazy expensive, at least 1,500 for a 1 bdr/studio.
Thats an amazing deal for NYC. I would expect more ~2,000/mo for a studio/jr 1 bedroom.

This is exactly the reason that New York (and San Francisco/California) programs moved down my list. There's some good training to be had, but at a certain point cost of living concerns were just too great for me.

Did residency in Manhattan. I was an expanded studio, subsidized, $1700 per month. It took up a lot of my salary, but I made it work.

I would not ever change it period. I LOVED living in NYC and it was probably the best experience of my life.

I agree though with someone earlier in the thread. If you're working in Brooklyn, try to live there. The subway commute from Manhattan to Brooklyn is actually kinda a long commute just because of all the stops. I didn't go to Brooklyn much so there has to be an express train or two, but still easier to just live in Brooklyn imo.

Try to live in Brooklyn. Any other borough would be a painful commute except maybe from Lower Manhattan. Traffic from Queens to Brooklyn is awful most of the time and subways lines go through Manhattan to get to Brooklyn (except the G train which is slow). Tolls from Jersey/Staten Island would add up. Bronx is way too far.

Generally the further from Manhattan you the less expensive it will be. About 5 years ago I rented a 650 sq ft 1 BR in Cobble Hill with my SO for about $1850/month, it's probably gone up since then. Prior to that I shared a 2 BR in Sunset Park for $1500 I think.

Once you take care of housing and your metrocard, it's actually possible to live pretty cheaply in NYC. The key word is your grocery store circular. Only buy what's on special. Even going out is ok if you limit yourself to beer at neighborhood places.

Reactions: 1 users
As someone who lives in NYC, try to stay in the borough. Commutes can be long whether it be by public transportation or by car.

I also wouldn't recommend a car as free parking is sparse, and parking garages can be very expensive.

Some people live in Manhattan but commute to the other boroughs. I'm like "no thx lol". I think it's much better to budget your free time to not be spent on so much commuting, especially during residency. But I guess some people love Manhattan that much.

If there are moonlighting opportunities, then this is how a lot of residents subsidize the high cost of living.

$1500 for a 1 BR in the outskirts of Queens is considered a steal.

Once you take care of housing and your metrocard, it's actually possible to live pretty cheaply in NYC. The key word is your grocery store circular. Only buy what's on special. Even going out is ok if you limit yourself to beer at neighborhood places.
Then why be in NYC? That's the problem I'm facing. I don't think I want to do 4 more years of living like a peasant.
What's it like to live in the Bronx or higher north from there if you're going to be doing residency there?

Then why be in NYC? That's the problem I'm facing. I don't think I want to do 4 more years of living like a peasant.
What's it like to live in the Bronx or higher north from there if you're going to be doing residency there?
NYC is expensive and you will see a lot of opinion on here to that effect. it also appears to be an incredible experience for residents who i know living in NYC. you have been told the negatives on this thread: high COL, difficult commutes, cramped space, lack of car. there are many positives: food, free activities, great cultural activities, lively social scene, 24/7 atmosphere. it is really up to you if you will accept the trade off between lower quality of life for plethora of activities outside of work. there is no wrong answer but there is your answer. good luck figuring it out.

NYC is expensive and you will see a lot of opinion on here to that effect. it also appears to be an incredible experience for residents who i know living in NYC. you have been told the negatives on this thread: high COL, difficult commutes, cramped space, lack of car. there are many positives: food, free activities, great cultural activities, lively social scene, 24/7 atmosphere. it is really up to you if you will accept the trade off between lower quality of life for plethora of activities outside of work. there is no wrong answer but there is your answer. good luck figuring it out.
This is pretty much the core of the issue. For some people, the tradeoffs will be worth it, for others it won't.

I lived in NYC as a Med/Grad student. Overall it was a net positive experience, but just barely. I would have been fine doing it for 2 or 3 years instead of the 8+ I spent there. Glad to have had the experience, much happier that it's over.

Live in Brooklyn. Don’t get a car. It’s very doable with 60k. Plenty of cheap apts in Brooklyn as long as you are fine without a dish washer.

Live in Brooklyn. Don’t get a car. It’s very doable with 60k. Plenty of cheap apts in Brooklyn as long as you are fine without a dish washer.

really? just looked on apartments.com and there is nothing reasonable...

I mean, it clearly depends on your definition of reasonable and your willingness to deal with roommates. It's NYC, you accept that you're going to have to commit a disproportionate amount of your income is going to go to rent. That tradeoff wasn't attractive for me, but clearly there are plenty of people who find that acceptable.

The definition of reasonable is different in NYC. It is very common for people to spend 1/2 of their post tax income on rent in NYC. I found >150 apartments under $1750 and > 400 apts under $2000 in brooklyn. Find an apt on the same subway line as your hospital and you will be fine.

try street easy - better than apartments.com for NYC

If you're going to live in the bronx, Riverdale is probably the only area that is nice