Living in Philly...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ahspitguy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone going to Temple next year look into housing, yet? I'm living in West Philly/University City right now, but I plan to move. I got the housing packet from Temple, but I haven't really looked into it yet. Just would like to know what others are doing. I think Temple has really been pushing Summit. They say a lot of 1st years move there.

Members don't see this ad.

good question... at the interview Mark was pushing Roxborough/Manayuk area... so im starting there.

I too am lost for where to begin my search, ive been looking at a few listings online... nothing i like yet. Im not too fond of living at an apartment complex, I would rather rent out a floor in an independent house.

I went to this site to get an idea of what each neighbourhood is like... http://www.philadelphia-real-estate-agents.com/Manayunk.html

Ill be flying out there for a couple of days in June to fix a place. Soo many other things to do... furniture, moving my car, insurance, ack...

Hey. I am going to live in Summit most likely. I went to visit it and I can see myself living there. They have a lot of social activities and as being someone brand new to the area it seems like a good place to meet people and have things to do. I might change my mind about everything next year but I think this is right for me at this point in time.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm attending temple as well, but I don't really know where to look for housing either. Is the summer too late to try and find an apt? considering that school starts in august? anyone know?

If you like to drink beer, go to Manayunk or Roxborough. I went to Main street Manayunk today to get a bite to eat and every time somebody stepped in the door, they were basically coming in to get their munch on. Also, there were at least two drunk couples making out on the sidewalk and a lot of loud drunk conversations and goofing off going on. I thought I was in college again but it was great. Seriously though, I just moved to Roxborough and I love it. What stands out the most to me is the friendliness of the people here. I've been here two days and pretty much all of my neighbors on my street have welcomed me to the neighborhood. People have gone out of their way to make my girlfriend and I feel comfortable. I can tell that this is a very tight knit community and I think it is a great quiet place to live. And on the weekends, after all the exams and clinic work, you can go down to Main Street and act like your 18 again:D . I don't know many other places but I do highly recommend either Roxborough or Manayunk.

Haha! I know the Roxborough/Manayunk area. My thought was I might get a little distracted! I think I?m moving to a Northern suburb. I found some nice low rent places. It?s only about 20 mins to campus or I can take a shuttle from the Ambler Temple campus into the city if I want. Sounds like a good deal (Free transportation and I can read on the way to school!) I figure I can come visit all you people in the ?fun? areas to party.

Hey ahspitguy,

Are there apartment for rent in the northern suburbs? or is it just houses? And did temple mention this area in the housing package they gave us?

xc1999

There are plenty of houses/apartments for rent in the suburbs of Philly. I don?t believe there was any info about places outside the city in the info packet. Philly is great because it is so easy to get to the city from the burbs by public transportation (especially places like the Temple Heath Campus).

Depending on where you look in the burbs compared to where you look in the city, it?s hard to compare prices. Places like center city and university city (places where nice livable apartments are in demand) tend to be higher in rent $$$$$ (but you still can get lucky. You can find some nice places just outside the city for some decent prices if you look. Some places can be astronomical, though. It all depends on what you are looking for and what is important to you. I?ve already done the Philly thing, living in the city for 5 years. I?d rather live in the burbs and come to the city for the excitement (and leave the excitement in Philly!) and save some money in the process.

The best thing is to take some time before school starts and take a look at the areas around the school. Roxborough/Manayuk area seems to popular with the Temple students. Don?t be afraid to look outside the city, though. My parents live 18 minutes from Temple (we timed it yesterday) and we still live a pretty suburban area.

I still have no idea what I?m doing yet and I?m from the area. Anyone looking into Summit? I hear really positive and really negative things. I don?t know what to believe. I do, however hear that it is a party complex. I figure I can just meet up with all you residents of Summit for the good parties, and come home to study. (And you guys can come to my place to get some studying if those crazy med students are too distracting!

Ahs PitGuy

I am wondering Shall I find some roommate or live by myself.
Since I don't know anybody there and can't sure about what kindda person I gonna live with for next several months, do you guys think I should live in studio or one bedroom or live wit someone I don't know. Do you guys have any input on this matter. But with all that living in two bedroom seems most affordable and chaep compare to live in studio or one bed according to Temple's housing packet.
I am most likely live in Summit park. One of my friend said it's pretty good to live there

Im going to check out Summit for the first couple of months, once i get to know people, ill find a roommate and perhaps rent out a 2bedroom independent house...

Vic

i just wanted to wish all you guys that are coming to temple well for next year...as a new sophomore i can tell you...boy is it a roller coaster ride...=oP take care all!....6 more weeks till summer!!! woo hoo!

That's exactly what i am thinking right now.
Maybe we can be neighbor... cool
Se ya let me in

Hope you Summit guys know how to drink:laugh: