Living in Washington, DC? (Near GT)

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by Qoo, Apr 24, 2002.

1. Qoo

Qoo Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hello.. My boyfriend might go to Georgetown next year. I was wondering if anyone had any advice for him on where to live? He wants to live somewhere that is walkable to the medical school and also nice. Any ideas?

How about buying a condo? Is that an idea?

Thanks.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ValleyGal

ValleyGal Senior Member

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha buying a condo in georgetown on a med students budget??? Let me know where you get those drugs you are on because they are clearly pretty good. Housing in georgetown is rediculously expensive, and buying something can quickly run you into the millions, and i am not kidding at all. A lot of people rent out houses en mase, as those are the basic form of living condition around the med school. There is a really nice neighborhood just north of the med school where a lot of them live, and if he wanted to go cheaper maybe he could look into rosslyn across the river!

4. Qoo

Qoo Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hey ValleyGirl,

Thanks for the response.. I'm not familiar with Washington DC at all.. In Texas, more specific Houston, a good option is to buy a condo because they are somewhat affordable. If it cost millions in DC, then maybe it's not a good idea then. My boyfriend is worried about his living situation. It's going to be worse then college! Our apartment is ghetto and still cost an arm and a leg.

How is the bus system in DC? I know it's much better then in Texas. You think he can live far away and take a bus?

Thanks.

5. johnM

johnM Senior Member

the bus system is pretty decent, but the metro system (subway) is great. the problem with that is there is no metro station near GT. there's really not much need to have a car at all in DC, UNLESS you live in georgetown... sorry...

6. Hopkins2010

Hopkins2010 Banned
    Banned

Well, you can still use the metro, its just more of a hassle than in other parts of the city.

there is no georgetown stop, but you can get off at the Dupont circle stop or the rosslyn stop across the river.

From both rosslyn and dupont circle, Georgetown has a shuttle that runs between the main georgetown campus and those 2 metro stops (the med school campus is integrated with the undergrad campus). I think they run about every 20 minutes, and they're free to Georgetown students.

From dupont circle, you can also get a free bus transfer when you get off the metro, and theres a city bus that runs between dupont and georgetown (with stops along the way). This bus runs more frequently than the Georgetown shuttle bus, but of course takes longer to get there because it stops along the way.

I've walked from Rosslyn metro stop to Georgetown before, and its probably a 15 minute walk. Its good exercise too because Georgetown is in a hilly area relative to the surrounding area.