Living my nightmare... Failed Step2 CK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gubernaculum482

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I've failed the S2CK... I go to an offshore school and am currently doing my electives. I have applied to IM programs, many of which are sending me thanks but no thanks responses through ERAS. My s1 is a 193.

I've made the realization that I am the bottom of the barrell in terms of how I look on paper. So, I'm posting on here in hopes of finding some sort of guidance. I have come up with the following options:

1. Dig deep for greatness, study my tail off and pull out a passing score sometime around New years. and hope for the best in the scramble.

2. Finish medical school, take a Kaplan course or something of the sort and try to put up the best score I can and re-apply in 2010. But then I need to find something to do in the interim to better my App...

3. Take an emergency leave from school for personal reasons. Study hard for step 2 again... take it sometime in the spring, hopefully put up a good score, and schedule it so that I graduate in time for 2010 match.

4. I'm open to any other ideas.

I guess Im just looking for some help... I have no idea what to do. I'm the most miserable I've been in my entire life. I don't know who to turn to for advice, and I have no idea what would better my chances for getting a decent residency.
I guess at this point a surgical residency is out of the question and I'm left with FP or IM... all of which would be bottom tier programs. Any helo/advice is emensly appreciated.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I read your story and I must admit, I feel for you! Thought I have not had the experience you have had, I am worried that it could happen to any of us, myself included, as I just took step II the other day and am in the middle of residency applications as well... A step II failure would not help my situation!

At any rate, keep a cool head. Sure, you failed Step II, but you can ALWAYS retake it! On the same note, I am not sure if it is a requirement for you to graduate, but seeing as it's a foreign school, I am of the belief step II passing is not required to graduate? So no worries there either.

My recommendations for you, are to continue with your residency applications. Continue with interviews and such if you get any and don't change anything with regards to school because of this.

Just because you failed doesn't mean you cannot still match. You should simply buckle down for a second crack at the test. Go to your rotations and interviews as normal, and study all the time you can. Get USMLEWorld and learn that **** back to front, it's tedious, but damn it is sooo much like the exam, and easy to use. I used it for studying for step II along with a bunch of Review books and I felt good coming out of the exam. Again, I can't tell you with confidence until I get my actual score.

One thing that will speak well for you is your character. Any residency coordinator will see that you stuck it through during the toughest times and that may be a good mark for you. Stick with it and you'll get through this, just buckle down with the studying and continue with your education.

That's the most important thing in my view, get done with school. Do Step II again if you can, but if a lot of stuff at once is bogging you down, take everything stepwise.