Living Options near Scholl College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justincredible

SCPM c/o 2011
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I only visited Chicago once, and that was on the day of my interview. But now that I've been accepted, I want to ask what some of the other Scholl students are planning on doing as far as living situation. I know there are on-campus apts but I've heard they're a little on the more pricey side. I also have heard about the Woodlands but I dont know how they are in terms of price. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions or advice as to living in Chicago? What are the rest of you going to do? Find a roomate? Live alone? Let me know! Thanks everyone!

Aug. 13th!!! Cant wait!!! :love:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone. I only visited Chicago once, and that was on the day of my interview. But now that I've been accepted, I want to ask what some of the other Scholl students are planning on doing as far as living situation. I know there are on-campus apts but I've heard they're a little on the more pricey side. I also have heard about the Woodlands but I dont know how they are in terms of price. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions or advice as to living in Chicago? What are the rest of you going to do? Find a roomate? Live alone? Let me know! Thanks everyone!

Iam gonna be commuting from Spring grove (which is like 34 miles:( ) so iam also planning to share an apt though i dont plan to stay there, but just want to have some space in Campus area for those late night group studies.

Hey justincredible

I'm in the same boat. I'm looking into living options around the campus. I've also heard of the woodlands and some surrounding neighborhoods. PM me if you're interested in discussing details.
Fall06

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey justincredible

I'm in the same boat. I'm looking into living options around the campus. I've also heard of the woodlands and some surrounding neighborhoods. PM me if you're interested in discussing details.
Fall06

Thanks FALL06, Ill definitely let you know when I get a little more certainty as to what Im going to do. On the housing website or in an email link Mandy sent me (I cant remember where), I saw a nice breakdown of different off-campus housing options that included pricing, bedrooms, miles from campus, furnished or not, and I think square footage of the units, and more info. The link was actually really helpful if you havent seen it. If I find it I'll post it here or PM you with it. Coming from California, cost of living near campus will be a huge break off of my wallet than what Im used to so I'm a little relieved after doing some reasearch tonight. Looks like I'll be able to get away with paying less than $800 or $900/mo for a 1 bedroom if I wanted to. Some were even as low as the $600's.

The cost for the campus housing actually isn't too bad because internet and heat are included in the cost. This would be good because during the winter season when it is freezing cold, turning on the heat in the apartment won't raise your bill by that much because you will just be paying for the fan. But other students that are in my class this year are living at the Woodlands, or somewhere in waukegan or gurnee. So those are other options as well.

If you can find something you like east of the tollway, it will really save you as far as your commute is concerned. Just a thought;)

Anybody know if there are showers on campus. I'm thinking that working out prior to class would be great, but I don't know if there are showers. Since, I live 12 miles away, going home to shower won't be an option. Trivial, isn't it?:D

Anybody know if there are showers on campus. I'm thinking that working out prior to class would be great, but I don't know if there are showers. Since, I live 12 miles away, going home to shower won't be an option. Trivial, isn't it?:D

Thats actually a good question. I remember during the tour we walked through the gym facility but I never asked about showers. I didnt see any, and no one ever mentioned them, but who knows.

The cost for the campus housing actually isn't too bad because internet and heat are included in the cost. This would be good because during the winter season when it is freezing cold, turning on the heat in the apartment won't raise your bill by that much because you will just be paying for the fan. But other students that are in my class this year are living at the Woodlands, or somewhere in waukegan or gurnee. So those are other options as well.

Thats actually something I didnt even think about, thanks for reminding me about that. So is it only heat and internet thats included? Water, gas, and electric we pay for? Thats good heat is payed for though considering I'll most likely be cranking it up all the time during winter months. Does anyone know how rent is payed? Do we pay per month or is it more like per semester? I know on the website the prices are listed as per semester but I just wanted to make sure.

Hey justincredible

Fall06

Hi Fall06, here is that link to the list of off-capmus housing options. Hope this helps you in your search. Its pretty informative, although it'd be better to see these places in person and know about their respective neighborhoods. But nonetheless, hope this helps! :luck:

http://66.99.255.20/housing/pdfs/apartmentsinnorthchicagoarearevised.pdf

Thats actually something I didnt even think about, thanks for reminding me about that. So is it only heat and internet thats included? Water, gas, and electric we pay for? Thats good heat is payed for though considering I'll most likely be cranking it up all the time during winter months. Does anyone know how rent is payed? Do we pay per month or is it more like per semester? I know on the website the prices are listed as per semester but I just wanted to make sure.

Water is included in the rent as well, so all we pay for is the electricity and the fan to run the A/C or heat. Rent for a single bedroom is about $10,000 a year and to share a place would cost you about $8000. They would just charge you quarterly by including it with your tuition bill, so if you take financial aid, they will deduct it from that. The website should show your the price for the apartments.

I might be driving up there Monday to look at a few places and neighborhoods. If anyone is looking at a particular place, PM me and perhaps I can go check it out and let you know.