living w/ parents during residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

throwawayyyyy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have two small kids, ton of school loans along w/ credit card from interview season. Parents live ~30mins away from site (on good day w/ no traffic). Wondering if this is too far a drive or if anyone did anything similar in residency?
It would help us financially and my wife support wise. i'm just not sure about it. Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Have two small kids, ton of school loans along w/ credit card from interview season. Parents live ~30mins away from site (on good day w/ no traffic). Wondering if this is too far a drive or if anyone did anything similar in residency?
It would help us financially and my wife support wise. i'm just not sure about it. Thank you in advance.

How does your wife feel about it? Does she work as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
She mostly wants to stay with parents. She does not work as most of her check would go to daycare.

Thirty minutes is doable. It's not great, especially in certain months, but I know people that lived thirty minutes away during residency, and did fine.

Do you spend all your time at that site, or are you forced to go elsewhere for obstetrics or pediatrics?

Thirty minutes is doable. It's not great, especially in certain months, but I know people that lived thirty minutes away during residency, and did fine.

Do you spend all your time at that site, or are you forced to go elsewhere for obstetrics or pediatrics?

Pediatrics first year would be much farther away but only one month. Everything is else is right there

I would say to go for it. If your wife is OK with it, and your parents are OK with it, try it out for a year and see. You'll certainly save a lot of money and your wife will need the help.

Not living with parents, but living ~50 minutes (without traffic) away from hospital. So I wouldn't bat an eye at 30min! The question is more about how comfortable are you with living with your parents when you have a family. If that doesn't bother you, then go for it! Definitely advantageous financially.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I would do anything to save money and have grandparent help with childcare. No question as I had NO help EVER from family since my parent died before I had kids and before I went to med school. Even if they made you crazy I would still do it. You have have nights on call were you stay at the hospital anyway and will have long hours. If your wife has that kind of help, that is great for her.

Reactions: 1 user