Living with parents during Med school: good or bad idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did you have such a miserable life that you feel the need to be a pain in the a** to anyone enjoying a lifestyle that wouldn't work for you? I'm not wasting my time now, planning where I'll live 7 years down the road. I'm taking it one year at a time. What's working for me is working well. Your choices are what, hopefully, works for you. Since you don't enjoy a good family life around your parents and siblings, shut up on the subject of those of us who do, because you obviously don't know what you're yammering about.
pardon me, but the purpose of having brought up the topic is to discuss the pros and cons of the issue. geez back off and let the man play devils advocate. and i hardly think planning is a "waste of time". sometimes its important to look at the big picture. little decisions like these can have huge impacts later on.

btw some ppl actually fair better not being in close proximity to their parents. even if it did save me a ton of cash, living with my parents would drive me frickin insane.

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't say that you don't have a good family. I said that apparently you would not be comfortable sharing living quarters with yours. That's OK. It's not OK to put others down if it's working for them and their families. Situations are different for each person.

milliya, planning ahead is good. If I were to be planning where I was going to live in 7 years, that would be a waste of time at this stage. I can't know what the situation will be then.

If it would drive you insane to live with yours, then it would be insane to do it. That's the point. He was just getting under my skin, carrying his example to extremes, giving by someone else a hard time over what worked for them.

Members don't see this ad :)
no one is putting anyone down. just examining the subtlties of the living arrangements that people have decided to share.

why? why not plan 7, 10, 50 years down the line? of course its not going to work out exactly the way you want, but at least you have a plan to follow and a destination at the end of the road.

And how do you know that I'm not comfortable living at home?

How about, because you keep referring to it as a "burden"?

And I was giving my opinion. Do you feel dissed every time someone doesn't agree with you? .

Not at all, but I feel "dissed" when somebody calls me "immature."

It seems like the people that live at home are more defensive than the people that don't. If you want to argue, then argue. And you say that I'm putting you down when you're talking about my family.

When the people who don't live at home tend to be a-holes, the people who live at home tend to be defensive...no one is talking about your family in a context that is beyond the civilized scope of this discussion. Somehow, though, you have managed to do everything but argue- only to get under people's skins.

Scroll all the way up, you quoted me first and came after me first. You told me to move out and sell my body for Pez (WTF??). Is that really in the "civilized scope" of this discussion? I'm giving reasons why you shouldn't live at home. Why don't you stick to giving reasons why you should live at home instead of getting all defensive. If you need to defend your reasons then it shows a sign of weakness in them.

Worst argument ever.

"If you defend X that means you admit it sucks"

:laugh:

:thumbdown:

fail.jpg

And how do you know that I'm not comfortable living at home? And I was giving my opinion. Do you feel dissed every time someone doesn't agree with you? It seems like the people that live at home are more defensive than the people that don't. If you want to argue, then argue. And you say that I'm putting you down when you're talking about my family.

The series of posts where you say that it's not cool; never cool; no, no, no; equate living with family to be a burden on them; and falsely extrapolate to say that if someone is living there during med school that the same conditions would carry through the next phase, all indicate that you would not be comfortable living with your family.

Did you notice that no one living with their parents has spoken up to tell anyone else that it's the only way to go? What I said was specifically that in the right circumstances, it works; that for most of my friends my age, it doesn't. Not everyone gets along LIVING with their family. OP asked for examples of what did and didn't work. The only reasons I remember you offering were that it's not cool & that kids are burden. Maybe you had something worthwhile to offer that I missed.

If you're bored and just trolling, fine. This inconsequential conversation has been a fine diversion from working on a very unchallenging English assignment.

Worst argument ever.

"If you defend X that means you admit it sucks"

:thumbdown:

fail.jpg
that is without a doubt the most immature thing i've heard/seen in a long time...and i'm younger than most of my peers. people my age are usually jerks. you take the cake though, i must admit.

that is without a doubt the most immature thing i've heard/seen in a long time...and i'm 17. people my age are usually jerks. you take the cake though, i must admit.

Do you know what that thing is on the cat's neck? It's not a plastic bag. It's a collar that's often used to protect animals who have developed a habit of chewing on themselves. In this case, the fat cat can't get into the food = fail. Just a humorous pic to emphasize his point. I think maybe you didn't understand the joke.

Do you know what that thing is on the cat's neck? It's not a plastic bag. It's a collar that's often used to protect animals who have developed a habit of chewing on themselves. In this case, the fat cat can't get into the food = fail. Just a humorous pic to emphasize his point. I think maybe you didn't understand the joke.
thanks but i got the "joke." i think its immature there was no need for the stupid picture. a feeble attempt at humor. and how anyone could mistake a plastic collar for a plastic bag is beyond me. that is utterly insulting.

I think you just answered his question.

Living with parents during Med school: good or bad idea?

that for most of my friends my age, it doesn't.
(i assume your friends are normal and our age)

End of discussion.

Thank you for finally agreeing with me.:laugh: It's what I said to start with. Glad to see that you finally withdrew that, "never".

I personally wouldnt do it...

But then again i have the type of rents that ask you to do stuff for them honestly every single hour of the day. Write a letter for me, dishes are waiting, trash here, hill could use some cleaning, laundry, etc. etc. etc.

Then by the time i start hw im exhausted from work all day n do very little or dont at all and so i dont return home from college for months and they say "you think you have it so hard when you come home for a good home cooked meal and nice bed"

makes me want to grab a shotgun...:mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks but i got the "joke." i think its immature there was no need for the stupid picture. a feeble attempt at humor. and how anyone could mistake a plastic collar for a plastic bag is beyond me. that is utterly insulting.

:laugh::laugh: Hey! Wait a second! At first glance, I thought it was a bag! I thought you might have seen it the same way. Yes, I can see how someone could take a quick look and think it was a bag. That would be sick. People do put silly pics up. He wasn't being a jerk, just trying to share some amusement.

Revenant is okay. If he wanted to be sick, he'd be sick.

I personally wouldnt do it...

But then again i have the type of rents that ask you to do stuff for them honestly every single hour of the day. Write a letter for me, dishes are waiting, trash here, hill could use some cleaning, laundry, etc. etc. etc.

Then by the time i start hw im exhausted from work all day n do very little or dont at all and so i dont return home from college for months and they say "you think you have it so hard when you come home for a good home cooked meal and nice bed"

makes me want to grab a shotgun...:mad:
haha i totally feel your pain. similar situation for myself only worse because i have younger sibs, all of whom will still be in the house by the time i get into med school. it would drive me absolutely crazy!

btw humid...i really dont see it being a bag.

that is without a doubt the most immature thing i've heard/seen in a long time...and i'm 17. people my age are usually jerks. you take the cake though, i must admit.

Ad-hominem

fail-24.jpg

at least i failed without a lame picture...although my statement might make you inclined to edit your post and put one there.

edit: *sigh* i love it when people are predictable.

edit: i'm tired of adding new OT posts to this board, but revenant do you have a thing for cats?

:laugh::laugh: Hey! Wait a second! At first glance, I thought it was a bag! I thought you might have seen it the same way. Yes, I can see how someone could take a quick look and think it was a bag. That would be sick. People do put silly pics up. He wasn't being a jerk, just trying to share some amusement.

Revenant is okay. If he wanted to be sick, he'd be sick.

Believe me....that picture was pretty tame compared to some of the other fail pictures.

at least i failed without a lame picture...although my statement might make you inclined to edit your post and put one there.

270916539_5a9c0691ef.jpg

Are you being serious? Sorry, it's hard to tell on a message board. I thought the picture was hilarious. I'm still cracking up.

As far as being a burden on parents, mine are practically begging me to move back in with them because it will save me a lot of money. They are even thinking about buying a retirement house around here for me and my brother to live in while we are in school, then they'll move in when we are done.

I feel loved.

edit: i'm tired of adding new OT posts to this board, but revenant do you have a thing for cats?

tank-cat.jpg

The real reason for not living with your parents? Dating (if it ever happens) would truly be awkward. End of story.

The real reason for not living with your parents? Dating (if it ever happens) would truly be awkward. End of story.

The mornings-after might be a tad awkward.

That's never been a problem for me. My parents would rather have me bring girls over to our house than to sneak around trying to find other places to get it on. But then again, my parents aren't American, so I can understand those whose parents are uber conservative. It's funny- I know a 23 year old who's engaged, and her parents still don't let her and her fiance sleep in the same room. I'll never quite understand parents that are so in denial, they still think their soon-to-be-married 23 year old is still daddy's little princess. The sad part is, these types of parents seem to be more of the norm than the exception, and I'm from one of the more liberal areas of the country. Either way, $80k+interest would still be a hefty price for some privacy...

I think some of you guys should rent "Failure to Launch."

I can see going to undergraduate school living at home. But medical school?

I wouldn't trust you with my life if you haven't even taken the step to become independent. It's not about being uncool; it's about growing up and being responsible. IMO of course.....

...and I LOVE it.

To the OP, I would suggest you consider a few things before you decide to stay home for med school:

1. What kind of relationship do you have with your parents? Will they be bothering you with things to do while you are studying? Do they understand the time constraint you are under?

2. How far away are you from the school? A commute of an hour is too far and a waste, but if the commute is below 20 minutes (one way), then it may be worth it, especially if, like me, you stay home and watch most lectures streaming.

3. Do you LIKE living at home? Some people love it, others hate it. It's not worth it to live at home if you don't like the environment.

4. Do you have a significant other? This may be an issue with having 'alone time' depending on how you and your parents handle it.

I went out of state for college at the age of 18 and live by myself for the next 6+ years (4 years of college + 1 year of grad school + 2 years of working). So no, I am not someone who can't cut the apron strings. I've had a 'real' job as an IT programmer and was completely financially independent, even paying off my own $20k debt within two years, but decided to go back to school to become a doctor.

I moved back home to take classes/study for MCAT. Fortunately, I managed to get into the local med school here and my parents live about 15 minutes away from the med school. They are extremely supportive right now and never bother me with chores. In fact, my parents gets annoyed with me when I try help to around the house because they'd rather see me studying or out with friends.

I have healthy home cooked meals every night. I bring a hot lunch to school every day I am in school, and I get compliments from others who see my warm, healthy homecooked meals which I do not have to pay for from the hospital cafeteria. A hot breakfast is also available at my discretion. I also cannot stress how important healthy eating is. I know students who can't/don't have time to cook, and it is one more stressor on your body.

I never have to worry about chores except to keep my study room clean. I never have to worry about laundry, getting my car's oil changed, or grocery shopping (although I did all this when I lived by myself).

This may not seem like much, but when you guys hit med school, you'll understand how every minute saved is every minute you can sleep, rest up, do something fun or STUDY.

Med school is NOTHING like college. You have a severe time crunch for the better part of the year. That three hours you save not having to cook/clean every week, the two hours you save not having to do groceries and worry about bills or taking your car in to get fixed---that's time saved to sleep an extra hour, cram an extra hour, spent time with friends etc.

And a few hours saved may not seem like a big deal now when you're in college, but I cannot stress how big of a difference that makes once you get into med school. You 're studying 60-70+ hours/week, so to no longer have to worry about the nitty gritty of everyday life really alleviates some of the burdens of med school.

This isn't to say that those living by themselves are going to have a horrible time with med school....but living at home for me alleviated some of the stress of med school that otherwise would be piled on top of my already overscheduled days.

As for social life, you won't be missing much since med schools generally don't have dorms and there's never enough time to go out every weekend with friends. Most people I know in med school live within 15 minutes of school but there is no 'campus life'. We study on the weekends, in the evenings. When breaks hit, most go home or travel or sleep in. We have socials after every exam and at the end of the year. We also have dance every year. Living at home does not deter you from enjoying any of these functions. You can also work in groups with friends and stay on campus as late as you want.....again, I'm not sure how living at home would deter you from hanging out with friends.

I have participated in almost all school social events and have had dates and a boyfriend while living at home. If I want privacy with guys, I go to their place or we go out. That is the only inconvenience I see.

I have no curfew. I come and go as I please. My mom calls me when I am out late but it's only to confirm that I'm still alive. I answer and tell her I'm fine, at a friend's house etc and she goes to bed.

No one in school looks down at you for your living arrangement. In fact, I have quite a few students that have told me if their parents lived close by to the med school, they'd do it in a heartbeat. This isn't high school. There are no 'cool kids', especially for not living at home. We're all focused on our career and worried about med school debt.

The fact is, I save about $10k/yr in living expenses because I pay nothing in rent and my expenses minimal since my parents can buy in bulk for the three of us instead of me shelling money out for the separate household. I guess $40k isn't much in the big picture but it's $40k that I don't have to pay back once I start residency, it's $40k I can put towards retirement, mortgage etc. If I'm 'uncool' or whatever....well, I've outgrown that after junior high. And oh year, you guys will all be MEDICAL STUDENTS. There is no other schools with a nerdier student body. :rolleyes:

A few replies to the comments upthread:

By this logic, no one should ever move out of their mom's place. Why pay $80k a year when you can live with mommy for the rest of your (well, I guess more accurately her) life? That's what, $800k you save?

Because the money you are using for rent during med school is ON LOAN which you have to pay back with interest, at a time when you don't have a job to pay it down with. Once out of med school, a paycheck is available to pay for rent etc without having to borrow for that. I've had to pay back college loans with my own money...it is a slow going affair and not all that pleasant. As a result of that experience, I want to minimize my debt as much as possible wherever I can. I don't think people realize how painstaking it is to slowly pay that debt down....that the paycheck you see gets eaten up by the debt month after month. Debt repayment is not a pleasant affair. As a result, I make an attempt to "live like a student now", so I don't have to live like one after graduation.

Dude, would you really want to be a 26 year-old living with your mother? Think about it.

I'm 28 and I "live with my mother" as a medical student. I find no shame in it and plenty of students in med school here have told me I am very lucky.

This isn't high school anymore.

"Looking cool" has been replaced with "finding ways to save time and money while studying your butts off" once you hit med school.

People don't care about what cliques you're in, whether you live at home or not, or what types of sneakers you have.

Everyone is concerned about cramming in as much crap as they can and be able to regurgitate it a short amount of time. Almost everyone in med school have, at one time, lived on their own. Some are married with kids.

So most people are no longer concerned about perceived "coolness" factor. That's been replaced with worries about debt and having enough time to get everything done. I can minimize my debt and maximize my free time with one stroke by living at home. And I've been told that's "pretty cool". ;)

I will add one more thing. Living at home for med school isn't for everyone. But I highly recommend it if you can study well at home because it really cuts down your expenses.

Anyway, I hope I've offered a good perspective of what it's like to live at home. I find no shame in it. In fact, I had a party during spring break last year and invited about 20 friends over to my house for home cooked dinner. Needless to say, I was VERY popular after that. :D

I wouldn't trust you with my life if you haven't even taken the step to become independent. It's not about being uncool; it's about growing up and being responsible. IMO of course.....

Oh for Christ's sake.

I am in med school, and I live at home.

I don't rely on my mommy to remind me what time to be in the hospital. I know that I need to be there at 4:45 AM, so I get there at 4:45 AM.

I don't rely on my daddy to tell me what articles I should be reading to make sure that I don't get pimped too hard the next day. I know what I should read, so I read it.

I don't rely on my mommy to remind me when the next shelf exam is. She usually has no idea when the next test is - she only figures it out because I get home substantially earlier than I normally would.

I don't rely on my parents to wake me up when I'm on call and a baby is starting to crown. I wake up and go (since there is no home-call for students, and I'm generally in-house). :p [EDIT: "In house" = "in the hospital"]

And I don't rely on my parents to remind me, nightly, of how I should write my SOAP notes. I round at 5 AM and write my own SOAP notes. Particularly because my parents have no idea what a SOAP note is anyway.

Geez, it's just a place to sleep and shower, especially in third/fourth year and while studying for boards. Get over yourselves.

Thank you, NonTradMed and smq123, for the increadibly thoughtful responses.
I really hope you two kill this thread, once and for all.

hey, it's cool if it works for you
you don't need to attack someone else's opinion

If people would refrain from just putting out their somewhat inflammatory, ill-informed comments (and defend themselves by whining "it's just my opinion!"), then there would be no need to "attack" it.

Seriously - doubting my ability to responsibly take care of patients (which I am currently trying my best to do as an upper-year med student) is crap.

You live at home?

If you live at home you'll never be a good doctor.