Lizard Research and Pre-Med Students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Med1992

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So one of my professors of Ecology is big on amphibian research, and right now, he's recruiting students for research into Central American lizards. To be real honest, I have no idea what kind of research it is or what it's about just yet. All I know is that involves lizards.

Getting other research positions is relatively hard at my school (unless you have connections), so--being a pre-med--should I take this opportunity and do lizard research?

In all honesty, lizards don't interest me, but I really do want some research experience in order to boost up my resume some and possibly even gain more influence or "connections" amongst the biological faculty here to do more medically-related research on campus.

Basically, will lizard research help me out any in terms of applying to medical schools in any way? Or should research experience for a pre-med student be more medically related?

Members don't see this ad.

The short answer is no.

The long answer is still a no - especially if you don't know anything about the professor's research. The truth is, it doesn't matter what kind of research you do (whether it's medically related or not), as long as it is scientific, hypothesis-driven research. However, you already know that lizards do not interest you. The time spent in lab will be miserable for you. It would be much more worth your time to pursue something that is of interest of you, whether it's research or not.

Well what I meant was I really don't know too much about lizards, and that's why they don't interest me. But I kind of do have a feeling that once I learned more about them, that interest would grow.

But yeah, I'm still not sure what his research is about.

So overall, it doesn't matter if its medically relevant research, as long as its research?