LizzyM Score Average GPA or Median GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UMICHPremed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am wondering if calculation of LizzyM score with medical school's average accepted GPA or median GPA gives better predictor of one's academic quotient.

For some schools there are very large discrepancies between median and average gpa (i.e. Umich: average 3.7 median 3.9)

The median is a more robust measure and is not influenced by significantly low deviations in GPA; however, it seems like medical schools usually report average while the MSAR handbook reports median.

Your thoughts?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Go with the median accepted GPA/MCAT so you don't disappoint yourself. It's better to be on the safe side and call a place a reach than to apply to too many reaches.
Of course, use the plus minus 3 points to know if a school is in your target range.

EDIT: I'm not discouraging you from applying to dream schools. Just do it smartly because you have finite mental resources and will realize this come July while you're writing secondaries daily.

To be as specific as possible, if you are an OOSer, I would use the published MSAR data. State schools will lower their allowable stats for in state students, which will bring the average GPA/MCAT down some. As a Wisconsin resident, if I were to apply to UMich, I would be using the published MSAR data which I believe is the median GPA and MCAT for applicants who were extended an interview.

Also: Beyond the LizzyM score, which if you read my thread I just created, it's suggested you look beyond just a LizzyM score to other things like average OOS interview/accepted data. There are many schools that may have a low MCAT and GPA average, but if you're no from their state, you'll have no chance at their school.

Basically, buy the MSAR, and use the data from that. I'm finding out that although it is deflating to give yourself the lowest possible odds, you need to be realistic in which schools you apply for, and being conservative (using the median scores) will give you the most realistic chances.