mtruo001

10+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey everyone. Just recieved my LLU secondary and now I am wondering if I should even send that secondary in.

I understand that the SOM student population is about 60 Seventh Day Adventist to 40 "non-SDA."

Pretty decent stats, I thought.

Then I discovered that the "non-SDA" are mainly other Christian denominations.

WTF, I thought.

I am vietnamese and Buddhist. For the opportunity to attend a med school in california, I don't mind biting the bullet and suffering through 4 years of med school with extra religious activities (classes, rules, church attendances and such).

But are non-Jesus worshipping applicant discriminated against? Does anyone happen to know the odds of non-Christians getting accepted into the school?

What is the population of non-Christians in the school?

:luck: to you

notdeadyet

Still in California
15+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
There are lots of threads on Loma Linda. They make no bones about the fact that they are a SDA school. They have mandatory worship and whatnot. They do not allow caffeine in their hospitals. You have to make a promise to swear off alcohol and drugs (premarital sex too, I can't remember). There was a great thread about LLU that covered all this.

They can not legally discriminate based on an applicants religion, but they do everything they can to make it painfully aware that they are primarily an SDA school that allows devout Christians in as well. I believe that on the secondary or during the interview process, they request a letter of recommendation or contact information from your minister to act as a reference.

I doubt that Loma Linda has too many non-Christians slip through the cracks, but if anyone does and is unhappy, they only have themselves to blame. I have no problem with having a med school that is a haven for those who want to surround themselves with other SDA's and devout Christians. I'm sure they're quite happy there.

If you're not SDA/devout Christian and are hoping to fake it, I doubt you'll get past the interview process and doubt you'd end up being very happy there.

If you can't get in elsewhere, come to California for resideny.

dsh

SDN Lifetime Donor
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2005
notdeadyet said:
There are lots of threads on Loma Linda. They make no bones about the fact that they are a SDA school. They have mandatory worship and whatnot. They do not allow caffeine in their hospitals. You have to make a promise to swear off alcohol and drugs (premarital sex too, I can't remember).

They can not legally discriminate based on an applicants religion, but they do everything they can to make it painfully aware that they are primarily an SDA school that allows devout Christians in as well.
Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to do a bit more research (find that thread you mentioned) and if the consensus matches with what you're saying, I'm not even going to submit a secondary for LLU.

About the Ads
OP
M

mtruo001

10+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks for the response.

I have been searching the SDN forums about this. I was looking for information from someone who is in the school or happens to know the statistics. How many non-Christians are there?

Being a non christian, do I have better chances to apply to an "out of state" state school? (If you know what im saying)

If I do submit my secondary to this school, I will not fake anything. Like I said, I don't mind suffering through someone else's relgious practices for a chance to study this close to my hometown.

HemaOncoDoc

One Step At A Time
10+ Year Member
May 8, 2006
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
mtruo001 said:
Hey everyone. Just recieved my LLU secondary and now I am wondering if I should even send that secondary in.

I understand that the SOM student population is about 60 Seventh Day Adventist to 40 "non-SDA."

Pretty decent stats, I thought.

Then I discovered that the "non-SDA" are mainly other Christian denominations.

WTF, I thought.

I am vietnamese and Buddhist. For the opportunity to attend a med school in california, I don't mind biting the bullet and suffering through 4 years of med school with extra religious activities (classes, rules, church attendances and such).

But are non-Jesus worshipping applicant discriminated against? Does anyone happen to know the odds of non-Christians getting accepted into the school?

What is the population of non-Christians in the school?

:luck: to you
You make it sound like going to a predominately Christian-based school is painful. I do not know of any non-SDA or non-Christians getting into the school. I know a few students who go to LLU. I truly hope will not say that you don't mind suffering their religious practices for the opportunity to attend medical school near your home town. :) How do you think can get past the screener if you said you're not going to fake it?...best of luck.

About the Ads