LLU MOT SUMMER 2012 - Housing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jenatlb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This post is open to everyone: future or current LLU students.

I know the program starts in a couple of months but I have been having trouble finding housing. Several of my friends have warned me not to live on my own, especially in cities adjacent to Loma Linda (San Bernardino and Colton). So I guess those are no longer options.

I already looked into their on-campus housing but I heard it is very difficult to get your own room (crucial for a grad student, in my opinion). So, I guess my dilemma is that I am hoping to find a place nearby and possibly live with other new OT students. The first year is the most difficult (academically, mentally, emotionally, etc), so living in the right place with the right people is important to me.

For those who have decided to attend LLU, my question to you is: what are you doing about housing? or did you regret/appreciate any decisions that you made as a first-year grad student in regards to housing?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!
I'm actually really glad you posted this because I too am a little concerned about housing! I agree that roommates/living conditions are crucial to graduate program success..
I've heard from former LLU students in the PT/OT program that it is best to live in the dorm at least for the summer during the Human Gross Anatomy class. Its more convenient, it helps you adjust to campus life, and with the hectic 8am-5pm (or beyond) schedule, they say its great to be easily accessible to the dorm.
In terms of off campus, I'm sure you've noticed that the prices are high! But, in my opinion I feel that off campus is ultimately the best option. I heard there are a few apartments really close to the University that a lot of LLU students live in. Most of them have room mates.
As for me, I really am unsure on what I am going to do..i'm thinking that I might move into the dorm ONLY for the summer, as I defintely want to ultimately be an off campus student, but we'll see! Hope this helps :)

Thanks for your response! You made a really good point. With such an intensive schedule, we're probably going to want to walk as little as possible. Haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck to you guys! I've heard the summer gross anatomy is very difficult! Both of my anatomy professors came from Loma Linda! I got a rejection letter from LLU in the mail last week! So congrats on getting accepted and good luck!

Hey guys! I live in Loma Linda now. Do not rent anywhere other than within the city of Loma Linda. It can get pretty sketchy around here. Google "Trading Post Loma Linda" This is a pdf file that gets put out with rentals in the area. I would recommend something walking distance as parking is a nightmare. Good luck and Congrats on the acceptance!!!

Live in redlands or Loma Linda and you will be fine alone. If you want to live in berdo alone, buy a gun.