l'm a french osteopathe

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by flosteo, Oct 27, 2001.

1. flosteo

flosteo Junior Member

Hello,
    my name is Florence Bruegghe,l'm french and osteopathe.
    l'm writing my thesis. l would like to get some informations about Doctor Charlotte Weaver, DO (1884-1964).
    Can you help me ?
    sorry for my bad english.
    thanks for your help
    florence bruegghe
    :eek:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. sport

sport Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Florence,

I am sorry I do not have any information for your thesis, however, I do have a few questions for you regaurding osteopathy.

As a French osteopathe do you have the right to write prescriptions or are you restricted to practicing manipulation? What is the public perception of osteopathy, is it well known? What are the restrictions, if any, that face osteopathic physicians in the European community in general?

Good luck on your thesis :p

4. flosteo

flosteo Junior Member

Hi,
    it's with pleasure l give you an answer to day, the official recognition of osteopaths in France came on October 4th, 2001 . this year !
    Waouh, after too many years !
    sorry my english is not so good,
    Here we have two possibility , after " bacalaureat " ( licence at the end of college), go in an osteopathic's school for 6 years or if we are " kinesitherapeute" or nurse ( as me) or
    midwife or doctor of medecine, we go 5 days by months in school during 6 years too . At the end we must do a thesis.

As a French osteopathe do you have the right to write prescriptions : ( to day, NO, but the project is yes we could Xray and biologict test!
    or are you restricted to practicing manipulation the day we are : YES ?
    What is the public perception of osteopathy : it's because we have a very good public that the gouvernement recognised, is it well known : the future will be great for us ? What are the restrictions : we were illegals and many " old osteopaths "had "lawsuits, if any, that face osteopathic physicians in the European community in general :with the public who use osteopathic medecine and with Europe, in England, Belgium,germany etc ...who recognised, the France could not stay alone with unrecognised ?
    for the moment, we are a liberal profession, we will know after january 2002, when the low will be vote.
    Last summer l went in San Francisco and worked with two osteopaths and l was surprise, few osteopaths in USA just use hands to practice, l don't know why, ( about lawsuit ?)
    Dr Viola frymann come in france every year and l learned with her during a week.
    Osteopathy come from USA, Dr still and Dr sutherland and Dr Magoun and and ...,
    it was very important for me to meet, to compare how we learn here, the meeting was great in SF , sometimes my english was bad but with our hands we understood. and now l know that we have a good training. do you kow Jean Pierre Barral ? visceral technique . l use !
    Hope l give you answers, l shall be happy To communicate, exchange again.
    Florence :)