LMA in neonatal resuscitation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

halflife2

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
34 week neonate delivered apgar 7 and 4 full arrest unable to intubate despite numerous efforts by different providers. number 1 LMA placed and able to ventilate. continue ventilation and compressions and epi for 2 hours until baby is "stable" and transported to Riley hospital.
Appears you can use an LMA in this situation, but wish I did not have to find out.

Members don't see this ad.

34 week neonate delivered apgar 7 and 4 full arrest unable to intubate despite numerous efforts by different providers. number 1 LMA placed and able to ventilate. continue ventilation and compressions and epi for 2 hours until baby is "stable" and transported to Riley hospital.
Appears you can use an LMA in this situation, but wish I did not have to find out.
Good job.

http://www.nurse-anesthesia.org/showthread.php?t=2792

Called in at 0545 W/F, g5p4, admitted with a bleed, fetus stable a few decells I am told, pt vss, no significant medical hx except tobacco abuse.
SAB with 20mcg fentanyl 200 mcg duramorph 15 mg bupivicaine, pt tolerates well deliver apagar 7 and 5 baby to nursery with ppv, 90 sec later code called, attempt intubation times 6 with no success. #1 lma placed barley ventilate, 90 min of bagging epi and fluids before infant is airlifted to Riley hospital Indianapolis.
Never felt so bad or worthless, All I had to do was place a GD ETT. Only consolation is no one could and everyone tried.
Life is short and in this case it was measured in hours.

Members don't see this ad :)

Could they bag the kid with an oral airway or did they get all excited and just go ahead and decide to place Intubation ahead of Ventilation. Meconium filled lungs?

Common mistake. Unfortunately.

http://www.nurse-anesthesia.org/showthread.php?t=2792

Called in at 0545 W/F, g5p4, admitted with a bleed, fetus stable a few decells I am told, pt vss, no significant medical hx except tobacco abuse.
SAB with 20mcg fentanyl 200 mcg duramorph 15 mg bupivicaine, pt tolerates well deliver apagar 7 and 5 baby to nursery with ppv, 90 sec later code called, attempt intubation times 6 with no success. #1 lma placed barley ventilate, 90 min of bagging epi and fluids before infant is airlifted to Riley hospital Indianapolis.
Never felt so bad or worthless, All I had to do was place a GD ETT. Only consolation is no one could and everyone tried.
Life is short and in this case it was measured in hours.

Stupid cRNAs.....like Vent said

From what I am reading it looks like a great job was done.

IfYouSeeKay = troll.

could mask ventilate very poorly, chest x-ray showed whit-out