PhD/PsyD LMHC while ABD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

procrastin8r

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings, all! I am wondering if anyone has input on pursuing LMHC licensure, en route to PhD licensure. Specifically for: post-internship ABD, with MA in clinical psychology, looking to work in private practice while finishing dissertation. I would appreciate any info on application logistics (i.e., log pre-doc internship as the master's level internship? etc), as well as testing prep for the NCMHCE. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I had a friend who tried this, but was denied licensure because her training was not as a counselor, it was as a psychologist. It likely varies state to state though.

What a bummer for your friend! =( I would have to ask the licensure board beforehand, to make sure they would even accept my application. I'm in MA.

Members don't see this ad :)
MA LMHC requirements:
https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/2017/09/28/262cmr2.pdf

You need 2 years post degree experience and so many Supervision hours from an LMHC (other hours can come from LICSW OR PHD) so it might not be as easy as you think.

Also: Board Policies and Guidelines for Psychologists
Pay attention to this part I copied and pasted:
Persons with a Doctorate in Psychology Practicing Independently as Psychotherapists. Unlicensed individuals who have a doctoral degree in Psychology from a Designated Doctoral Program*, who practice independently under the title of "psychotherapist," are considered by the Board of Registration to be practicing Psychology without a license. The Board regards such action as an attempt to circumvent the Psychology licensing law and subject to discipline.

Might want to contact both the LMHC and psychology boards for clarification.

MA LMHC requirements:
https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/2017/09/28/262cmr2.pdf

You need 2 years post degree experience and so many Supervision hours from an LMHC (other hours can come from LICSW OR PHD) so it might not be as easy as you think.

Also: Board Policies and Guidelines for Psychologists
Pay attention to this part I copied and pasted:
Persons with a Doctorate in Psychology Practicing Independently as Psychotherapists. Unlicensed individuals who have a doctoral degree in Psychology from a Designated Doctoral Program*, who practice independently under the title of "psychotherapist," are considered by the Board of Registration to be practicing Psychology without a license. The Board regards such action as an attempt to circumvent the Psychology licensing law and subject to discipline.

Might want to contact both the LMHC and psychology boards for clarification.

Thanks for the info - this is very helpful! Yikes, definitely don't want to cheat myself out of a future psychologist license...