LMU-DCOM vs WVSOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gabbythecat

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just got into WVSOM and now I need to decide between the two schools. I'm at LMU-Knoxville if that helps. I also know there's some old threads on this, but LMU is now accredited with exceptional outcome (the old threads said no to LMU because they had accredited with heightened monitoring). Location isn't a factor because I'm OOS for both. Please help! They both seem pretty similar and I can't even make a pro/con list, I just stare at the empty page. Thanks all in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Ok I made a pro con list kinda

LMU

Pros

-Could do a DO/MBA program in 4 years there, not super important to me but I think it's neat

Cons

-graded and Monday exams

WVSOM

Pros

-Friday exams

Cons

-graded

Any other specifics like about rotations/clerkships, cost, attendance policy, recorded lectures etc?

I’d suggest WVSOM since it is more established and I have not seen complaints about it by other posters.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Any other specifics like about rotations/clerkships, cost, attendance policy, recorded lectures etc?

I’d suggest WVSOM since it is more established and I have not seen complaints about it by other posters.
They're both about $57,000 so thats not a worry
LMU- have to find rotations, recorded lectures, lectures not mandatory
WVSOM- guaranteed rotations 3rd year, recorded lectures, lectures not mandatory

Ok I made a pro con list kinda

LMU

Pros

-Could do a DO/MBA program in 4 years there, not super important to me but I think it's neat

Cons

-graded and Monday exams

WVSOM

Pros

-Friday exams

Cons

-graded
one is urban and the other is rural. I'm not really sure what to pick. They both have a free clinic which is something I'm interested in

They're both about $57,000 so thats not a worry
LMU- have to find rotations, recorded lectures, lectures not mandatory
WVSOM- guaranteed rotations 3rd year, recorded lectures, lectures not mandatory
Guaranteed rotations will make it easier on you than having to do a lot of leg work on your own.

Guaranteed rotations will make it easier on you than having to do a lot of leg work on your own.
I have now information and you go into a lottery system at LMU to get rotations. So I don't have to find them

WVSOM and it’s not even close

can I ask why? I just want to know why so I can make the right decision for me
well-established program. matches well for a D.O. program. LMU has been on heightened monitoring for a while I think. WVSOM has cheap cost of living as wlell

do you have any other pros and cons about each school?

well-established program. matches well for a D.O. program. LMU has been on heightened monitoring for a while I think. WVSOM has cheap cost of living as wlell

LMU is off heightened

LMU got off heightened monitoring. LMU is accredited with exceptional outcome which is higher than WVSOM which is just accredited

LMU got off heightened monitoring. LMU is accredited with exceptional outcome which is higher than WVSOM which is just accredited
WVSOM has a long track record of success and you could rotate using the West Virginia MD hospital system most likely. You do not have any distinctive pros for LMU besides them changing their accreditation, so most users will tell you to choose WVSOM.