lmu masters or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

souvenir94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I got accepted into lmu masters of science program (anatomical sciences.) my mcat is 505 and gpa 3.57 .
I am confused as the masters does not guarantee acceptance rather it gives interview provided you get a high B or better in Medical anatomy class. Is it worth spending 30k and plus? Am i putting myself at risk if i dont go there and just apply to many schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Let me put it to you like this..you have better that's than I do and I got 7 interview offers and was accepted to every interview I attended. Do not do the masters program..

Your stats are above average for most DO schools. You have far more to lose than gain by doing this masters. Reapply!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You'll get into at least one school without the masters program

I think people didn't realize the OP had a 18 on her first MCAT attempt, and a 491 on her second.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/low-mcat-postbac-or-retake.1164107/

If this is true, then she has to apply to those schools who will only take her highest scores. Also, she is a reapplicant, so it might be a slight disadvantage.

Doesn't change my advice, very few schools average out MCAT scores (of course they look at the attempts and it factors into their decision). She maybe at a slight disadvantage being a reapplicant, but she doesn't need an SMP.

Yes, all this helps. I would also suggest applying this cycle.

Hello all. I got accepted into lmu masters of science program (anatomical sciences.) my mcat is 505 and gpa 3.57 .
I am confused as the masters does not guarantee acceptance rather it gives interview provided you get a high B or better in Medical anatomy class. Is it worth spending 30k and plus? Am i putting myself at risk if i dont go there and just apply to many schools?

Even if you do get accepted with those stats having the MS is still beneficial and will improve your scholastic skills. I know of one student that did this same program, graduated this May, and is beginning med school (state public school associated with large medical center) this August as a result of the program. Don't think of the masters as a requirement to get into med school, rather, think of it as an opportunity to better yourself and improve your chances of excelling when med school starts. It's not like an MBA that won't help at all in improving your study skills or preparation for the basic and social sciences of medicine - go for it.

You have far more to lose than gain by doing this masters. Reapply!
11.gif

What is the alternative to the LMU program? Will you stay home and play Xbox all day? Will you flip burgers at the local Heart-Attack-in-a-Sack? Will you work part-time and do something meaningful (volunteer stuff, research, etc.)? If you know that what you do over the next year will not substantially contribute to your med school application, then perhaps you should consider the program.

However, in general, these special masters programs are good for people with weak stats but have something in their application that demonstrates potential. Your GPA and MCAT are quite good. If you didn't get in this cycle, you should go over your entire application with a fine-tooth comb and identify any weaknesses. My guess is that you didn't apply broadly enough to get in somewhere.

I'm with many of the other posters in this thread - that for someone with your stats, this program would not be useful. Next application cycle, apply broadly, ensure your extracurricular/volunteer hours have increased from the last cycle, and ask your LOR writers for strong letters. Best of luck to you!

What is the alternative to the LMU program? Will you stay home and play Xbox all day? Will you flip burgers at the local Heart-Attack-in-a-Sack? Will you work part-time and do something meaningful (volunteer stuff, research, etc.)? If you know that what you do over the next year will not substantially contribute to your med school application, then perhaps you should consider the program.

However, in general, these special masters programs are good for people with weak stats but have something in their application that demonstrates potential. Your GPA and MCAT are quite good. If you didn't get in this cycle, you should go over your entire application with a fine-tooth comb and identify any weaknesses. My guess is that you didn't apply broadly enough to get in somewhere.

I'm with many of the other posters in this thread - that for someone with your stats, this program would not be useful. Next application cycle, apply broadly, ensure your extracurricular/volunteer hours have increased from the last cycle, and ask your LOR writers for strong letters. Best of luck to you!
i am applying this cycle with those new stats. i plan on getting a job and doing some more volunteer and shadow work.

Even if you do get accepted with those stats having the MS is still beneficial and will improve your scholastic skills. I know of one student that did this same program, graduated this May, and is beginning med school (state public school associated with large medical center) this August as a result of the program. Don't think of the masters as a requirement to get into med school, rather, think of it as an opportunity to better yourself and improve your chances of excelling when med school starts. It's not like an MBA that won't help at all in improving your study skills or preparation for the basic and social sciences of medicine - go for it.
the only thing with that is it does not guarantee that i will go to medical school and it costs 30k. My ultimate goal is medical school

The are quite a few of these programs out there that guarantee and interview but do not guarantee acceptance. Look at the stats of the program on how many students get into med schools after. Most I've seen say 60-70% of students with a 3.5+ get interviews but then if you have a 3.5+ and good mcat you should get an interview somewhere. IMO you can get what you need otherwise, so unless you fit into a very narrow category of low gpa this type of program isn't a good investment (unless you are doing it for more than just med school).