ajanedo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 8, 2006
Status
Medical Student
I will not graduate till August....ahhh! Can I do match this year? Please tell me I don't have to wait till 2011:eek:

aProgDirector

Pastafarians Unite!
10+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
Well, I have good news and bad news.

Let's start with the bad news. You will not be able to match this year. Being eligible for the match means your Dean ceritfying that you will graduate before July 1st. So, that's out.

The good news? Well, it turns out that since you graduate between July 1st and Nov 1st, you are free to take a spot outside the match. You are not considered a 4th year student in this year's match, so you are free of any match commitment. As long as you start training before Feb 1st, you can sign outside the match.

So, you're plan should be to apply to programs like usual, just you will need to be clear with them that you are looking for a spot outside the match to start Sept 1st (or whenever). Unfortunately, I would probably expect more rejections than you would otherwise deserve, but if you are a quality candidate you should be fine.

This assumes that you are a US grad. If you're an IMG, then you'll prob be stuck until next cycle as you'll need to graduate to get your ECFMG cert.

OP
ajanedo

ajanedo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 8, 2006
Status
Medical Student
I have also heard. As I am an osteopathic (DO) student that I am still eligible for the AOA match, and I could still do the MD scramble as a last resort. Any insight on those options? Should I apply early as in ASAP or should I wait as late as possible to have step 2 scores in as another positive highlight to counter the negative?

aProgDirector

Pastafarians Unite!
10+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
I have also heard. As I am an osteopathic (DO) student that I am still eligible for the AOA match, and I could still do the MD scramble as a last resort. Any insight on those options? Should I apply early as in ASAP or should I wait as late as possible to have step 2 scores in as another positive highlight to counter the negative?
I have no idea if you qualify for the AOA match. Their website / agreement does not mention this.

You could definitely participate in the NRMP scramble, but not being able to start ontime will be a big negative. You would wait until the AOA match results. If you don't get a spot, then you register for the NRMP match so you would get the list of unfilled programs like everyone else. Of note, this may not be true for the 2011 match, where the "new and improved" scramble may exclude those who cannot start on time (unclear, rules are still being worked upon).