Loan options for international students in a 4 year DDS program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kric81

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
I am an international student and have been admitted to a four year DDS program at a US Dental school. Since there are so many international students in the IDP program and some also in the 4 year DDS program I would like to know how did/do they finance their dental education. Since I'll be on a F-1 visa I would not be eligible for federal funding as far as I know. I hope there are ways to get financial aid at low interest rates. I checked on the thread for student loans for international students but nobody recently has mentioned which bank they got their student loans from and what was the interest rate? My sister is an American citizen with a good credit history so I should have a creditworthy co-signer. I have read from posts on here in 2003 that these private loans were easier to get and then posts from 2008 said it was getting difficult to get them (cuz of the economic turmoil and recession). How is it now that the economy seems to have improved. Is it easier to get a private student loan approved? I will appreciate any help and inputs from all you guys with experience of being in a situation like this. Many thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry to break this to you but there is NO low interest loan for international student...you can only get private loans which will come with a ridiculous interest rate!! Most of the international students who go to dental school come from rich family that have the ability to assist them through school and only a small percentage of them actually live on loans. It'll be hard for an international student to even get a loan, let alone low interest.

I am on the same boat with you. I am also international and am not from a wealthy family. I am getting quote from Citi and Chase, and maybe because my cosigner here does not have a perfect credit record, so, the interest rate I got is pretty steep (6.375APR from Citi Health Professions Student Loan). Also, be aware of the fact that the application is usually only available on their website but no service at their branches. What I heard from the bank staffs is there are only three banks in the US that would offer private student loan to international students. Beisdes Citi and Chase, I am still searching for the remaining one. Though there are some individual loan for international students online, but I am quite suspicious about those.
Though I dont want to admit, but Sonny881994 seems right about the high interest rate for international students. Let me know if you have found any other loan lenders that will give better offer.

i have secured a 200k line of credit from a canadian bank here at prime rate (3%) with my father as a cosigner
i have heard of friends of mine obtaining 2 lines of credit at this rate

also if you have an american cosigner i think u can get a loan from an american bank at a good rate too