Apr 24, 2013
Status
Pre-Dental
Im sure there are other threads on this, but I havent found many recent ones. I will soon be applying to dental school within the next 1-2 years, and the debt situation these days is very scary to me. I know I will be graduating with at least 350+ in loans due to the ridiculous tuition now. And I understand you have to live like you're in college still for awhile after you graduate. But is this type of debt realistic to get out of? I don't want to pursue something that I am going to be paying off for the rest of my life..
If any recent graduates or practicing dentists could offer some input I would really appreciate it.

rbmdmd

5+ Year Member
May 5, 2013
Status
Dentist
if you have a low interest rate paying it back is not a big deal over a long period of time but if the rates shoot up its best to pay it off as soon as you can….350k is max i would do but when your options are limited sometimes you don't have a choice. It will suck at first but if you get to a point after dental school say 5 yrs after and you are making 300k its not as big of a deal. Do not buy luxury items, fancy car, and house bc you can't afford it in the beginning. Also, make sure you like dentistry before you get into it. Let me repeat, make sure you like dentistry and this should be in capital letters. Be prepared to deal with a lot of you know what, its hard work and a roller coaster ride

Bereno

Smoking Monkey
7+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Well, its better to look at this now than when you graduate so you can at least get an idea of what to expect. I made an excel doc a few years back that might be able to help a little. Ill link it here. Best of luck :)

Dec 14, 2013
Well, its better to look at this now than when you graduate so you can at least get an idea of what to expect. I made an excel doc a few years back that might be able to help a little. Ill link it here. Best of luck :)
You can work at a Federally Qualified Health Clinic and apply for loan repayment through HRSA. They offer tax free money to pay back loans.

Bereno

Smoking Monkey
7+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Status
Resident [Any Field]
You can work at a Federally Qualified Health Clinic and apply for loan repayment through HRSA. They offer tax free money to pay back loans.
True, but working at a FQHC is not ideal for most (but perfect for some).