Loan payback

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sbdento

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an omfs resident that's got a private dental school debt load. I would like to be able to buy into a practice a year or so out of residency. Currently on repaye and making the low payments and saving up as much as I can in the meantime.

What are your thoughts on this plan?

Members don't see this ad.

Your plan as you wrote it here is not unreasonable. I think the best thing is to find the right practice to buy into. If the office you join is viable, then with consistent patient flow your income and subsequently debt should take care of themselves. I'm not a surgeon, but it might be a good idea to ask an OMFS you can trust or find a good mentor for some guidance to avoid making any avoidable mistakes.

If I were you, I would try to avoid stretching the repayment period to more than 10 years. For some reasons, I am more afraid to owe the government money than I am with other private lenders such as practice loan, home loan, car loan etc. The same thing with the IRS…. I’ve always over-paid the estimated taxes every quarter and then I get my money back when I file the return. Having little money in the saving/checking accounts forces me to discipline myself to spend my hard earned money wisely.

How about just making the required minimum monthly payment by getting a P/T job at a corp? With a P/T job at a corp, you should have some extra free days in the week to run your own OS office. Once your own office gains enough referrals from the GPs and has fully booked schedule, you can quit your job at the corp. That's what a few OMFS's, who work at the same corp with me, are doing right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user