Loan Repayment for Emergency Medicine, Radiology, or Pathology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Futuremed03030

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm still in high school so these specialties aren't definite, but I figured this forum would be better as the question would be answered by people with experience.
I was very interested in getting loan repayment through working in an undesired area, but it appears that only those in primary care (I was surprised EM wasn't considered primary care) can receive this type of loan repayment.
Have I been looking in the wrong places or are there no loan repayment programs for these specialties except for joining the military? I have considered using the FAP program through the military but I would prefer the undeserving area option.
Should I worry with this or am I better off just deferring my loans and paying them off after residency?

Members don't see this ad.

Wait... You are not even a pre-med/college student and you are already asking about... loan repayments? I mean, your question isn't too absurd... but you haven't even taken the MCAT or been accepted to med school.

Medically underserved area isn't the only qualification for loan forgiveness; there are programs you can qualify for the federal PSLF plan working with certain non-profits or government organizations. So a VA radiologist for example could potentially qualify for a federal loan forgiveness plan after 10 years. There are countless threads discussing the best option with PSLF and if you're doing a high paying specialty you're typically better off paying back your loans in private practice. Also it's yet to been seen how the whole situation works out in the coming years as most attendings I've talked to think it's likely to be changed.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if you're talking about income based repayment well then anyone can qualify for that.

But like ^ said this is a rapidly changing area and it's likely to look different by the time you exit medical school so I wouldn't spend an inordinate amount of time stressing about this. Rather I'd recommend if you're serious about medicine, think more about how to do well enough to get into your state school for the subsidized tuition.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
LOL a high school kid is worried about student loans payment...you do realize that you have almost a decade before you need to think about this right? You are not even in college. Heck, you may not even go to medicine or even getting in. Worry about these first. Btw, spoiler alert, EM isn't fit for you if you are this neurotic.

Just vote for Bernie and go to med school for free.

Reactions: 1 users
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are a senior, and that you will graduate college in 3 years and go straight to medschool thereafter. Even so, the earliest you could possibly get your loans forgiven under the existing programs is 18 years from now. For all we know, by 2034 the entity formerly known as the United States may have split into New Trumpland and Territorio de la Raza Unida and the greenback may no longer exist, making loan repayment a moot point. Or you may die of cancer or in a car accident. Point is, don't stress over it.

Last edited:
Speaking of, people were saying if Bernie wins he will wipe clean everyone's student loans

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

That's not true. I'm not necessarily a supporter but I saw him speak recently and he talks a lot about student loans but ONLY refinancing student loans- definitely not forgiving them. Who would pay for it? That would be just as bad as the mortgage collapse. The world economy would go into recession...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app