Loans available for Canadian residents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bullettime

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here know of loans other than OSAP (other gov't related loans) and bank loans that we can get? Bursaries, etc?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I have been wondering about this myself. I am from Quebec so our loans are completely different! I have looked into banks and from what I have found, Bank of Montreal gives vet med students up to 150K. CIBC is 125k and down from there. This is only from the info that I have read online- I have not actually applied for any of these loans.

A vet I worked for actually got married to get more loans (this was back in the 80's- but I believe that it may still hold true.) I mean, if your husband/wife have an income a bank may be more likely to lend you money.

This is all I know. I am on a waitlist, so I do not want to get stressed over money just yet. However, it is good to know what is available in the event of an acceptance!

Plus, you could always donate a kidney- or dance in the street! :laugh:

Plus, you could always donate a kidney- or dance in the street! :laugh:

Naw, egg donation is where its at...some people get paid 20K for that stuff!

Hello,

I know that most banks have a professional line of credit. As was mentioned in one of the earlier posts the amount varies between banks. Basically you go in with your acceptance letter and a co-signer and within a day or two you get approved for the amount allotted to veterinary students at that particular bank.

How it works is you get an installment every year for 4 years and you draw down on that amount. You would pay interest (typically prime + 1) every month only on the amount you have used (not on the total amount of the loan). Then most banks give you 6-12 months post-graduation to start paying back the principle amount, but in those 6-12 months you would still be paying interest on the amount you have used.

I hope this helps!

Blackpolar