Loans for Canadian students going to US dental schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chewy7

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since FAFSA is not applicable to Canadian students, which loans are we eligible for? Is OSAP and TERI our only option?

Can you guys tell me how you're paying for US dental schools?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

OSAP is available and I think CaN help is. I'm just using family support. THough after one year i think you can ask for fasfa because you declare your residency

woodsy, Im pretty sure Ive already told you this but you can never declare residency without citizenship or a greencard. Every year you will be a visa student, which means that every year, you must renew your visa and start from scratch. You will never be eligible for FAFSA.

And getting a greencard is no easy task...especially in this day and age...10 years ago, the only reason my father had a chance because he was a skilled worker and his company in Boston spent lots of their own money in sponsoring him. Even then, It took him 8 years to get the greencard. As a dental student, Im sure you will not be considered a skilled worker, or would your university sponsor you, so dont bank on it.

Also, Ive been told by some Canadian friends of mine to be beware of CanHelp and all its hidden fees. We are talking about thousands of dollars here, so research it as much as possible before making ANY committment! Check out some banks because if you have good credit and a worthy cosigner, Im sure you would be able to get a decent line of credit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by avingupta
woodsy, Im pretty sure Ive already told you this but you can never declare residency without citizenship or a greencard. Every year you will be a visa student, which means that every year, you must renew your visa and start from scratch. You will never be eligible for FAFSA.

And getting a greencard is no easy task...especially in this day and age...10 years ago, the only reason my father had a chance because he was a skilled worker and his company in Boston spent lots of their own money in sponsoring him. Even then, It took him 8 years to get the greencard. As a dental student, Im sure you will not be considered a skilled worker, or would your university sponsor you, so dont bank on it.

Really? that's not what the folks at Columbia told me. They said you can declare residency. It doesn't matter I wasn't going to ask for a loan anyways.

Getting a green card? Impregnate an American girl and marrry her...haha.I'll let the family take care of the American citizenship stuff, I'm just here to learn and then make some cash.

Really? that's not what the folks at Columbia told me. They said you can declare residency. It doesn't matter I wasn't going to ask for a loan anyways.

Getting a green card? Impregnate an American girl and marrry her...haha.I'll let the family take care of the American citizenship stuff, I'm just here to learn and then make some cash.

Well then, the people at Columbia either didnt know you were Canadian or are on crack.

Think about it...isnt it common sense? WHy would American taxpayers care about subsidizing loans for Non-Americans??? Do you think an AMerican can come and live in Ontario for one year and get OSAP?? Ummmm....no.