loans for international students accepted in residency programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ARM the GREAT

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have got accepted in Pros residency program at usc. Can anyone tell me if international students can get loans for attending residency programs?
Any response would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I have got accepted in Pros residency program at usc. Can anyone tell me if international students can get loans for attending residency programs?
Any response would be appreciated.

Hey

Well whatever issues you as an international student have, you should first consult the Office of International Services and they will let you know if there's any kind of loan available for you. This is by far the most reliable, accurate and comforting source available. :thumbup:

Previously internationalstudentloan.com had such a loan scheme available for international students enrolled in a graduate program. Only after you had paid the tuition and fees, you could apply for the loan. I had talked to the Maryland branch manager in June and it was very much do-able (The company was UMB friendly!), but thanks to economic depression these loans are not available anymore. Now a co-signer is required. Also, the loan interest rate has jumped up by around 2%.:thumbdown:

USC Residencies are paid programs :eek:, and the tuition alongwith other expenses becomes much of a burden :scared:. Are you applying to a graduate school for a MS as well?

I hope you have the finances to take care of you. :rolleyes:

Good Luck,
M.

PS The program I was supposed to join was very cheap though lengthy 5 years + 3-6 months (the total cost was less than any advanced standing program including 5 years of living/misc. expenses) and the loan interest rate available to me was under 10%.

Last edited:
Hi Ibanez,

Thanks for the reply and all the info. USC is so expensive I know that :(
My only choice is getting a loan, otherwise.....
By the way, whats the difference if I apply to grad school for MSc degree or not? Cuz I have already one MSc!

Thanks,

Hi Ibanez,

Thanks for the reply and all the info. USC is so expensive I know that :(
My only choice is getting a loan, otherwise.....
By the way, whats the difference if I apply to grad school for MSc degree or not? Cuz I have already one MSc!

Thanks,

Hey

Your certificate in Pros will be good with/without a MS degree. Your MSc degree will be valueable if you did the postgrad studies in biosciences and from a US (or any recognised country) University. If this the case, I think, you do not have to repeat it (You should have asked your Mentor? If not, ask him right away...) and mostly because you will be asked to pay the tuition and other grad school fees in case you opt for a combined certificate program with MS. USC is beyond expensive, I think you should not add some 40 K/yr (grad school fees) to your already 75 K/yr program. Plus other hidden fees.

I am personally a 70% Academician-30% Clinician guy, I love everything that is even remotely close to research. I generally speak highly of MS and Phd but USC is expensive, Arm!

I personally think you should seriously give it a thought... There are other residency programs which are very cheap relatively!

I suggest you to talk to your program director and the Office of Admissions to inquire about tuition remission(s) that you may get by working as a research assistant or teaching assistant. Well there's a proverb, "Beggars are not Choosers"... If it is a case then you are not left with any choice. Trust your instincts, that is the best you can do.

I feel terrible by presenting the ugly situation you are in... I am sorry but it seem like it.

Good Luck,
M.

PS I wasn't a beggar, so I made pretty many choices... I could have possibly squeezed out another 10 K/yr from my program as applied to tuition remission.

PSS There are no rules of thumb in a metaphysical World. But most people live in their physical World. One word, 'Believe'!
... That was your ultimate hint.

Last edited: