Loans for med-school if spouse works?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carcrazyguy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if a person is in med-school but their spouse works, can the student still take the student loans? I know that at the Houston interview they said "once a student has been awarded acceptance to school they will be offered government loans to pay for school". However, will my employment disqualify my wife from getting the $38k(?) yearly loan? I have heard that all students are "offered" the loan.???

Can someone please shed some light on this for me, PLEASE!!

Members don't see this ad.

Your best bet would be to ask them directly.

But, in general, you must include your entire household's income, assets, and exemptions on the FAFSA form. Depending on what your income is your wife's EFC may be high. Your school is not obligated to offer any loans above and beyond their calculated annual budget minus your EFC. However, they will usually allow you some amount of unsubsidized Stafford loans (to a maximum of $38,500 per year) but this is at the discretion of the financial aid office. With a large EFC you will likely be ineligible for subsidized Stafford loans.