1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Loans for moving

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by Soup #5, Apr 29, 2002.

  1. Soup #5

    Soup #5 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2002
    Messages:
    17
    Likes Received:
    0
    This probably is the wrong thread but since the search funtion is disabled I thought I'd post here anyways.

    Does anyone know where I can find a good deal for a loan. I'm moving for residency and I got no dough for the move. I don't think residency programs would advance you some $. Any input will be appcreciated.

    Thanks.
    <img border="0" title="" alt="[Wink]" src="wink.gif" />
     
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

  3. Winged Scapula

    Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2000
    Messages:
    38,543
    Likes Received:
    26,722
    Status:
    Attending Physician
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Soup #5:
    <strong>This probably is the wrong thread but since the search funtion is disabled I thought I'd post here anyways.

    Does anyone know where I can find a good deal for a loan. I'm moving for residency and I got no dough for the move. I don't think residency programs would advance you some $. Any input will be appcreciated.

    Thanks.
    <img border="0" title="" alt="[Wink]" src="wink.gif" /> </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">What sources did you try? There is a loan available, or at least used to be available, for up to $5,000 for residency interview/moving expenses. I think the info used to be available through AAMC web site.

    Some residency programs will reimburse you for your move, although I think most don't. If you have a good credit history and a banking relationship, your local banker may lend you the money. However, this would be under standard loan conditions - ie, no deferment.
     
  4. Whisker Barrel Cortex

    10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2001
    Messages:
    1,785
    Likes Received:
    20
    The loan through AAMC is called MEDEX and you need a school code in order to qualify. You must be a 4th year medical student and can apply until June 15th. The website is <a href="http://www.aamc.org/stuapps/finaid/medloans" target="_blank">www.aamc.org/stuapps/finaid/medloans</a> then go to the MEDEX option for an online app. You need to get your school code from your office before you apply.
     
  5. Goofy

    Goofy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2001
    Messages:
    503
    Likes Received:
    2
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Soup #5:
    <strong>This probably is the wrong thread but since the search funtion is disabled I thought I'd post here anyways.

    Does anyone know where I can find a good deal for a loan. I'm moving for residency and I got no dough for the move. I don't think residency programs would advance you some $. Any input will be appcreciated.

    Thanks.
    <img border="0" title="" alt="[Wink]" src="wink.gif" /> </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Soup,

    Check out 'the mortgage hunting thread' created by none other than yours truly. There is some great info in their about getting money for generic purposes. I was able to secure 10k for moving expenses at a 5% interest rate through key lend. Thanks for this info goes out to Neuro Girl. In any case, check out the thread.
     
  6. Goofy

    Goofy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2001
    Messages:
    503
    Likes Received:
    2
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Whisker Barrel Cortex:
    <strong>The loan through AAMC is called MEDEX and you need a school code in order to qualify. You must be a 4th year medical student and can apply until June 15th. The website is <a href="http://www.aamc.org/stuapps/finaid/medloans" target="_blank">www.aamc.org/stuapps/finaid/medloans</a> then go to the MEDEX option for an online app. You need to get your school code from your office before you apply.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Whisker,

    Your link is dead :(

    Update: I found the link you were referring to at

    Application:
    <a href="https://www2.usagroup.com/OLABorrower/OLA.asp?school_id=44444401." target="_blank">https://www2.usagroup.com/OLABorrower/OLA.asp?school_id=44444401.</a>

    Info about Medex loan in pdf format:
    <a href="http://www.aamc.org/students/medloans/students/medexterms.pdf" target="_blank">http://www.aamc.org/students/medloans/students/medexterms.pdf</a>

    Medloans general info loan page for 4th years:
    <a href="http://www.aamc.org/students/medloans/students/start.htm" target="_blank">http://www.aamc.org/students/medloans/students/start.htm</a>
     
  7. halothane

    halothane Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2002
    Messages:
    126
    Likes Received:
    0
    hey....this is my strategy for a move . I decided I do not want to increase my financial burden so Iam getting rid of all things that are more expensive to transport than they are worth. Put everything I need in my car...as much as it can fit..mainly the computer, a few books, tv, few utensils, clothes and drive. Once I move in I have an airmattress(40$, and very comfy)to get me thro the first few months and as I get my stipends I,ll start furnishing or get a furniture rental like cort so I can pay a lil everymonth. I calculated that except the deposit( 1 months rent) on my new apartment, the gas for the car, and a total of 80 bucks to install new utilities I am really not spending for anything else....just an opinion.

    "People seldom realise what a great source of income economy is"
     

Share This Page