loans for non-degree seeking students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gotcurry12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'd very much appreciate some info. I've recently graduated with a BA (in Neuroscience). I plan to apply to medical school, but I need to take a few upper level bio courses to get my science GPA up (cell bio and genetics). I plan to take those classes as a non-degree seeking student this summer, and then apply to medical school with a stronger resume. I understand that as a non-degree student, I'm not eligible for federal aid. What are my options for private aid? Thanks for any info.

Members don't see this ad.

op, if you have not maxed out on your federal stafford loans, then you are elegible for 12,500 / year of federal aid as a non-matriculated or non-degree seeking student. i know this first hand because i borrowed in the same exact situation as you.

Hi,
I'd very much appreciate some info. I've recently graduated with a BA (in Neuroscience). I plan to apply to medical school, but I need to take a few upper level bio courses to get my science GPA up (cell bio and genetics). I plan to take those classes as a non-degree seeking student this summer, and then apply to medical school with a stronger resume. I understand that as a non-degree student, I'm not eligible for federal aid. What are my options for private aid? Thanks for any info.

I'm in the same situation as you for the semester I'm in right now.
Unfortunately your stuck with private student loans. Not only that, but you are limited to banks that will lend to a non degree student. I used Citi but you can probably find others.

Someone mentioned using credit unions a few days ago. He/she used http://www.studentchoice.org/ which basically finds the best credit union for you.
I didn't look into because I had already taken out the Citi loan. Though come to think of it, I should probably see what my rates would be if I did use a credit union and then maybe I should take out and pay up the Citi loan. Hmmmmm, I should look into that :)

And yes, unfortunately the interest rate is pretty bad for private loans.

Good luck!