Location of D-School affect where you work in the future?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bballrules

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm from California, so I believe that I have to take the west regionals after 4 years of d school. I'm not sure, but I heard that some schools are not compatible. I don't really know how this works. After graduating from any dental school, can I just move back to california and take the license test for the west regionals? If so, how come so little people apply to some schools. I thought the lower amount of applicants means that they have to practice there or something. Anyways, thanks for clarifying things.

Members don't see this ad.

Good question; I always wondered the same thing.

The location of the school that you attend matters little in terms of where you practice. As long as you pass the licensing examination that is accepted by the state you want to practice in (WREB in your case), you will be fine. Assuming you pass the WREB, you can practice in any other state that accepts it (you aren't limited to one location).

Members don't see this ad :)
Well now you can do a 1 year GPR or AEGD or any specialty residency and avoid taking the WREB for California, so that's an additional option.

Well now you can do a 1 year GPR or AEGD or any specialty residency and avoid taking the WREB for California, so that's an additional option.

thanks for the reply. can you explain what it means though? Let's say I go to school in Boston, I can practice there for a year, and when I come back to Cali, I can start working? What's the pros and cons? Thank you.

thanks for the reply. can you explain what it means though? Let's say I go to school in Boston, I can practice there for a year, and when I come back to Cali, I can start working? What's the pros and cons? Thank you.

If you go to school in Boston and wish to work in CA you have 4 options after your graduate:

1. Pass the WREB (an exam)

2. Pass the CA boards (an exam)

3. Do a one-year residency anywhere in the country. This includes, as armorshell said, AEGDs, GPRs, or any specialty program.
(EDIT: A specialty program does not count. Only AEGDs or GPRs)

4. Get any license and practice anywhere in the country for 5 years. This will then make you eligible to have that license count for CA (Licensure by Credential).

Any of these will allow you to earn a license to practice dentistry in CA.

My apologies…

After re-reading the entire web page for the one year residency option, this only applies to an AEGD or GPR. A specialty residency does not qualify for this option.

Interesting. California is following NY's lead. I heard that NY did this because they had a lot of hospitals in the state.

Interesting. California is following NY's lead. I heard that NY did this because they had a lot of hospitals in the state.

Yeah, but don't you still have to take the boards for NY?

So, it's GPR + licensing exam for NY, I assume (??)

Yeah, but don't you still have to take the boards for NY?

So, it's GPR + licensing exam for NY, I assume (??)

My understanding was that NERB is not required if you go the GPR route.
You still have to take the national boards though.

I was under the impression that NY required the residency, rather than making it an option as CA did... am I wrong?

I was under the impression that NY required the residency, rather than making it an option as CA did... am I wrong?

You are correct:

“Beginning January 1, 2007, all applicants for initial licensure must complete an approved clinically-based dental residency program of at least one year's duration. A clinical (practical) examination such as NERB will not be accepted for initial licensure after December 31, 2006.”

Taken from - http://www.op.nysed.gov/dentlic.htm