Location of Examination

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kitra101

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, if I wanted to take the Step3 exam in a state where there is no postgrad training time required before eligible to sit for the exam (SC or FL), do I need to actually physically sit for the exam in one of those states or can I apply to take the Step3 for FL/SC, but sit in a state where there is a 1 year postgrad requirement?

Members don't see this ad.

Good Question! Id like to know too, as Im aiming to take my Step 3 as well before Residency starts! So how many of us are there? I think quite a few aiming to take this test before residency! Good - we can share tips :)

You can register with any one of these states (Maryland, Connecticut....) and sit for the exam at any Prometric testing center in the U.S.A... You just can't sit for the exam outside the states.

I have already registered for the exam (Maryland) and have scheduled it in Tennessee... A couple of my friends did that last year and it works just fine....

GL

So I dont understand...we register for a test in say FL and take it in another state and that is OK. What does it mean then to "register for step3 in FL?" What would be the negative then in everyone registering for a state without requirements such as FL to take it whenever they want?

Members don't see this ad :)
http://www.fsmb.org/usmle_faq.html

Look at question #11.

I was told that you can basically register for step 3 in the states that do not require any post-graduate training (ex. CA, FL), "saying" that you are applying for that specific state's licensure. Then once you have your step 3 application approved, you can take the exam anywhere in the country.

And once you have passed step 3, you can apply for a different state's licensure (ex. IL, MA) as long as you meet that state's new requirement (eg. passing all 3 steps in 7-10 years, has 1-2 yrs of post-graduate training, etc).

At least, this is my understanding...