Location?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BRCA1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Exactly how hard is it to find a job in your desired location?

I'm a fourth year MSTP student (still in research), and if all goes well, will finish rad onc residency sometime around 2018 (I know, I hate my life, please don't remind me.)

In an ideal world, I'll end up close to family in Kansas City, so I'm not going to be competing for the more desirable positions in San Francisco, Miami, NYC, etc. I know it's hard to predict exactly what the job market will be like nine years from now, but is it probable (or even possible) that I'll be able to do rad onc and end up where I want to? I want to stay involved in basic science and would like to end up at an academic center; maybe the PhD will help my chances???

Members don't see this ad.

The short answer is that you can find a job in your desired location, particularly if that location is far away from the coasts and major metro cities (e.g. Chicago).

To answer the second part of your question . . .

I consider myself an educated man. But I'm afraid I can't speak intelligently on potentially available physician-scientist positions in Radiation Oncology in the Kansas City metro area in 2018.

I'm far smarter than GFunk. 4 jobs in KC in 2018. 2 practice, 2 academic. But one is looking for a female doc :)

Anyway, if you make it into residency, perhaps by the time you start your PGY-3 year, call the academic/private docs and let them know your situation. People are not dying to be in Kansas/Missouri, but practices would love to have someone native or that has a reason to be there. So, if they know about you early, it will be easy to meet with them at ASTROs or when you go home and keep them on your radar.

Anecdotally, I've heard of residents in situations like that (they want to definitely move back to Fargo or Omaha or West Virginia) where they lock in a job very early in their training.

-S

Members don't see this ad :)
The short answer is that you can find a job in your desired location, particularly if that location is far away from the coasts and major metro cities (e.g. Chicago).

To answer the second part of your question . . .

I consider myself an educated man. But I'm afraid I can't speak intelligently on potentially available physician-scientist positions in Radiation Oncology in the Kansas City metro area in 2018.

A Few Good Men

;)

The best thing you can do for yourself if you have certain geographical area in mind is to let practitioners in that area know that you are interested. You can even visit them and see for yourself if you would like to join them, etc.

You should do this around 2015 - 2016.

While it's possible there could be a job available in Kansas City, with a speciality as small as radonc you simply have to realize there may be a possiblity you might not be able to find a job in a specific city.

There are many, many, great things about this specialty- choice of location is, unfortunately, not one of them.

Having said that, if your goal is to eventually end up in Kansas City, that's more doable, though it may take some time to get there.

Good luck!

t